Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buying new laptop, would like some input...

• Please log in to reply

Przy09

Przy09

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am looking for a computer to go off to college with, and would like some help. I am planning to become an architectural student at either Tulane, GA Tech, Clemson, or Cornell. I have looked at all of the computer requirements, and this one seems to fit all of them.

My question is, is Sony a good laptop computer brand? What other brand would you recommend. So far, the main concern I've heard about Sony is that they are pricy, and when you upgrade, you can only buy sony parts for it... I am more interested in how they perform.

Here are the specs to the laptop I was planning to get.

$1,500 ($47/month)

Standard Capacity Battery (VGP-BPS13)
CD/DVD playback/burning
6GB (4GBx1 + 2GBx1) DDR2-SDRAM-800........ I might go with 8GB, or I may upgrade later.
500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 graphics with 1GB dedicated video RAM
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8800 (2.66GHz)
16.4" VAIO extra-wide HD display (1920x1080)
Norton Internet Security™ 2009 (30 Day Trial)
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional
Microsoft Works

These are the types of programs I would be running...

AutoCAD 2009
Revit 2009
Rhino
Maya
Photoshop CS4
Illustrator CS4
InDesign CS4
Microsoft Office 2008

Edited by Przy09, 24 January 2010 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
That just seems way to expensive to me based on those hardware specs. I just quickly looked at an Alienware machine that was ~$1550 and was running an i7 Quad core processor. I would definitely shop around if I were you.