Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KVM switch with PS/2 inputs, to USB keyboard?

• Please log in to reply

rascalonious

rascalonious

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an old Windows 98 computer that uses PS/2 cables for keyboard & mouse. I bought a new desktop with Windows 7 that uses USB cables with its new keyboard & mouse. I want to use both with one monitor, so I got a 2-port KVM switch but it only accepts the PS/2 cables.
So, my question is this: can this setup work using my new USB keyboard, maybe with adapters? Or will I need to have both keyboards set up? Thanks much for any help or ideas.

Edited by rascalonious, 24 January 2010 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the new system have PS2 capability?
If so then the question is do you have the correct cables to connect the systems to the kvm.
From there depending on which Console connections are available will determine which kb and mouse you use.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 January 2010 - 01:13 PM.

rascalonious

rascalonious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, and thank you.
The new tower does have PS/2 slots in back, but its keyboard & mouse have non-detachable USB cables.
The KVM switch only accepts PS/2. I am currently using the old keyboard & mouse thru the Switch, with its green & purple cables going to the back of both computers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have both systems setup through the switch using the ps2 kb and mouse then it is working correctly. The problem I believe you are wanting to use the new kb and mouse correct?

rascalonious

rascalonious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I was hoping to use the shiny new keyboard. Just wondered if I was seeing the whole picture. I really appreciated your taking time to answer. Thanks rshaffer61!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since your KVM does not have USB connections then what you can do is purchase a PS2 to USB adapter like the one HERE. You would need one for each the kb and the mouse.

rascalonious

rascalonious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Your link was very helpful, as I'd been researching adapters, but terms like passive, male, female etc further confused me. This product description actually mentions 'for older computers with PS/2', when other ones I read didn't. I will order these, and not pester you further. THANKS much!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are not pestering me by no means at all. I am here to assist and teach hopefully. I enjoy doing this and you are a fast and appreciative learner. Please let me know how it works for you because it may help others with the same issue later. Just post back with your results as we do not close any posts here just in case. :) :)