Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Running slow

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Hi all! I run the IE7 Browser with Windows XP SP3. IE 7 is running very slow. I often will get "can not display page" then it suddenly pops up or doesn't come up at all. When I tried to go back a page on Geeks To Go Website, I recieved a "Please standby". I'm not sure what the issue is. I have run deleted temp files. I have run spybot, ad aware, Malwarebytes, and McAfee Virus scan. Still IE7 is running slow and strangely. It was suggested before to run firefox instead, but I can't even get the browser to open. So I stayed with IE. Please help! I'm on all day to try and fix this. Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A couple of steps to try here.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

If still no joy then try the following.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - I ran the TFC and rebooted. Nothing, but I do clean the temp files regularly. I run IE7 and in the Add ons there are those that are loaded and running, and then a long list of those add on's that do not need permission to run. I'm not sure what to disable and what not to. Any general rule of thumb when deciding what to enable and what not to? It's stll running inefficiently - as a matter of fact this is my third time writing this reply. When I clicked "add Reply" I got the old - "IE can not disply this webpage... ". Thanks for your help and patience.

Edited by butterrice, 24 January 2010 - 04:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A normal rule of thumb is to watch the Toolbars as they tend to be the most troublesome of the addons.

Kyler_IE8_Team

Kyler_IE8_Team

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When helping users with IE 8 speed up their browser I often recommend disabling the slow loading add-ons (like toolbars), so I think it would be a good idea for speeding up IE7 as well. However I have to recommend updating to IE 8 as it is faster, safer, and compatible with more sites.
Here is a link to download the latest version:
http://www.microsoft...er/default.aspx

-Kyler
IE 8 Outreach Team

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Kyler it is good to see the Outreach Team confirm our advice for a user.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - I'm still having alot of issues with browsing. I did download IE 8 b/c after doing as you suggested, it was still slow and stalling out. Now, I can't even open IE 8, same thing with firefox. Can't even open it (I clicked on it and tried to right click and open manually, nothing. Doesn't even show that it's trying to open)Right now I'm on MSN Explorer which is running okay for the moment but after a while, it's stalls too, especially if I use Java, like to play Yahoo Games. I will be here and will wait for further instruction. Thanks for all of your help.

Edited by butterrice, 31 January 2010 - 11:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode with networking and see if the issue still happens?

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - went into Safe Mode and I was able to open IE 8 and finish installing it. I was able to browse. I tried to update Windows in safe mode, but it wouldn't let me - windows site said there was an error. But now I'm back in regular mode, and again IE 8 will not open. I'm still have to use MSN Explorer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if it works in safe mode and not in normal then we still have either a driver or a add on problem. Please go back to post 2 and Disable ALL Add Ons and then follow the rest of the instructions from there.

Advertisements

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I can't open/start up IE8 in regular mode. So I went to safe mode to disable the add ons. I went back to regular to try and start IE8 and still no dice. Should I turn them all back on in safe mode?

Jessica-chen

Jessica-chen

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First thing you want to do is to clear your computer cache. This is a temporary storage for all the info that you have downloaded from the net. This doesn't have to be an active download. Just going to site requires that you download info to your computer. To clear follow these directions. You may want to even try reducing the cache.
http://www.delete-computer-history....
Manual steps to erase your temporary internet files.
1. Quit Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other web browser
2. Click Start, click "Control Panel", and then double-click "Internet Options".
3. On the General tab, click "Delete Files" under Temporary Internet Files.
4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the "Delete all offline content" check box , and then click OK.
5. Click OK.
Next you need to control what programs have access to your bandwidth. There maybe dozens of programs using your internet connect if you havent restricted this. You can use a firewall to control the traffic. Also limit these program by changing your startup configuration. Here is how:
1. Open your Start menu.
2. Click Run
3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"
4. In the "system configuration utility",
click either "service" or "startup" tab
5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.
6. Click "OK"

Edited by sari, 22 February 2010 - 07:50 AM.
removed advice on cleaning the registry

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
OKay - I cleared temp files, checked firewall, and cleared registry. Still can not launch IE8, but MSN Explorer is working just fine. I could click on IE all day long and it will not open.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temp and Cache files emptied back on post 2 using TFC.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Thank you for explaining that. I'm at a loss here! :)