Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharepoint Services 2003

• Please log in to reply

iekhan

iekhan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I am new to Sharepoint and am facing a particular problem. I have a document library containing multiple files. Now, depending on the user, I need to filter out the files available to him/her. In other words, I do not want all the files inside this folder (library) to be visible to every user.

I will really appreciate if you can help me out..

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I know next to nothing about sharepoint, but from my basic understanding you need to create multiple document libraries, and then restrict access to those libraries based on groups (which is basic windows server stuff).

So, did you dump everything into one library? If so, create a new library, move the need to be secure documents to that, then restrict access to the new library

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, lets put it this way. You have a whole bunch of documents relavant to the same topic. Hence, they have to go into the same folder. I can definitely create new groups. However, I am unable to filter out the data inside this folder depending on which group does the user belong to.

I can create sub folders, but then wont it be too messy. For e.g. to see one document, a sr. person has to enter a new sub directory.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, but you have to make compromizes in life...security or ease of use.

Securing these documents is more important then ease of use, I suspect.

Sharepoint does not offer the kind of granular control (file specific user access) that I am aware of.

Also, be careful sub areas (folders) as they will inherit their parent folders settings unless you specifically set them otherwise.

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks. True, I will have to make some compromises in this case.

However, I have two more questions that I will like to clarify with you -

(a) What will be a good method, create new libraries coz it might end up being this way that a single library has just one file in it (which doesn't look impressive) or creating seperate lists for each user group (I have no idea about this. This is something one of my distant friend suggested. If you are aware about this, then I will appreciate if you can shower some light into this too).

(b) Using ditigal dashboard to create the site.

Regards,

Irfan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No library will ever have a single document in it--it may at first, but it will grow. It is the nature of the beast. In fact, in six months you'll be purging junk people added.

I think lists is a good alternative to libraries -- both are preferable to sub areas, since it increases your level of work ensuring preferences/permissions are correct.

Cannot help with digital dashboard too mcuh, other than to say that DD allows more customization on the part of the user as far as he/she setting up what they want to see, whereas with sharepoint, you are more in control (this might make support easier for you)

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you. This has definitely answered all my queries.

I know this will be like spoon feeding, but which one will you personally suggest -

Going for lists or creating subfolders??

With that answer, I will simply pick it up, do a research on it, and implement it on our Sharepoint Service.

Ones again, thank you so much.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lists or libraries, not subfolders

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for rephrasing the question :tazz:. Which one will you personally suggest??

Additionally, the way I see it is - In order to have just one copy of the documents on the server and yet filter out the files, I will have to do the following:

Create seperate lists of filtering out the data as per the roles and then put them in the libraries

Please correct me if I am going wrong anywhere..

Edited by iekhan, 18 May 2005 - 10:56 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I meant use lists or libraries, do not use subfolders.

Your strategy sound correct.

Remember, though, I started this with "I know next to nothing about sharepoint"

I read one book on the subject as an introduction, but haven't needed to implement the info. Philisophically speaking, Microsoft has a tendency to work best with groups of things, rather than things to ease administration.

We may not be talking about the same thing when we are saying "lists"

When we are talking about lists, are talking a shared list -- like a group spreadsheet?

Or are you talking about a shared list that links to documents?

If that is the case, I think--think, that could still lead to problems because it can allow users to search for documents they may not see in their "list"--and then gain access to it.

Better to place documents in libraries and restrict access to the libraries, which precludes the ability to search restricted libraries.

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was talking about shared list that links to documents. I can see that this will have security implications. However, if I create seperate libraries, then I will end up placing multiple copies of the same document.. won't I?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmmm, yes you will....is that so bad?

Or, let me head this next one off....

Make two libraries, called (example)
sensitive
not sensitive

Give everyone access to not sensitive
Give managers access to sensitive.

Managers can browse both libraries since they are members of both groups, but non managers cannot browse sensitive.

Put the document everyone needs in non-sensitive

iekhan

iekhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yet another interesting thing I discovered -

You cannot even change the permissions of a subfolder inside a library. Thereby, implying that the permissions can be applied only to libraries, and not to files or subfolders inside them.

This visually leaves me with two options -

(a) Disregard security concerns and go for lists
(b) Create multiple libraries. In my case, this is going to be really troublesome coz I would be having copies of the same document inside 2 or more libraries leading to data inconsistancy issues :tazz: