Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USERINT32.EXE-0A2F2573.pf

• Please log in to reply

Brett Johan

Brett Johan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Heres my story,
I got an im from a friend with a hypertext in it, i click on it, even run the program it put on my computer (userint32.exe), next thing I know, its downloaded god knows how many unwanted things onto my copmuter, its IMed it to all my buddies, and now they're all pissed at me for putting this stuff on their computers. So, i removed all of those programs (successfully, I think), even deleted the file that i was asked to run. But lo and behold, the next time I turn on my coputer it asks me to run it again. I resist the first few times, but curiosity got the better of me, and just to see if it would work (after all I had deleted the file) I ran userint32.exe again. and, of course, It started again. I think I stopped it before it could do anything serious, but it opened my buddy list, though i think i closed it b4 the program had a chance to IM it to all my buddies again. I dunno, but no IMs were sent and no prgrams were downloaded this time. But i feel its still looming there, just a mouse click away. So, i go to C:/ windows, which is where it says this file is, and all i found was this: USERINT32.EXE-0A2F2573.pf in the 'Preftech' folder. But before i delete it i figured i should ask an expert - i dont want to get rid of anything usefull or even necesarry. I would really like to get this 'worm' or 'virus' or 'thing' off my computer, its not affecting anything in any way that i noticed, but the fact that it asks me to run this program everytime i turn my computer on is annoying and risky. Any advice? Sorry this was so long, and thank you. Btw, i know almost nothing about computers.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

....I resist the first few times, but curiosity got the better of me, and just to see if it would work (after all I had deleted the file) I ran userint32.exe again.  and, of course, It started again.

View Post

did you ever hear that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing, the same way and expect a different outcome?

You're lucky you did not hose your system completely, as this vicous little malware program does that about half the time.

First, the userinit...pf file is a pre-fetch file...it has nothing to do with anything you're seeing...it is used by defragger to place files on your drive. You can delete THAT one, or not...it does not matter.

Far more importantly,

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.