Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How "Hot" Is A Hard Drive Supposed To Get?

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Something strange happened when I turned on my computer today. Before I say what happened, I will say I have had no problems recently, or any kind of 'warning signs' that something was wrong. I turned it on, and I logged in okay and got to the Desktop. My habit is to listen to music while I am online, so I went to my favorite music site and it didn't seem to be operating 'right'. Hard to describe, just that I felt something was wrong. Then I clicked on another browser to go another site, and then trouble started happening. Best way I can describe it is like my computer was shutting off and restarting, and this happened several times in succession. This naturally scared me, so I decided to restart the computer. It wouldn't let me, so I had to restart it manually. I got the usual 'windows did not shut down properly' screen, but it did restart again okay and once again got me to the log in screen. Signed in again, but same thing happened...computer seemed to be shutting off and on and wouldn't let me browse properly...pages weren't loading, etc.(no error messages appeared, by the way) So once again, I turned the computer off, this time from the power switch on the back. The side panels of my computer are off because recently I installed a new hard drive, well refurbished, but it tested okay and have been using it for several weeks. So I felt the hard drive, and boy was it awfully hot! And I only had it on for a few minutes. It is a 120gb hard drive. Since I had never felt my hard drive before, I don't know if it is normal or not for a hard drive to get so hot after just a few minutes of use. So that's my first question...are hard drives getting hot normal, or could that be an indication something may be wrong with it? I don't know if it would help anything, but I disconnected and reconnected the cables to the hard drive. I then started it again. Seemed okay, got to my Desktop. This time instead of going into the Internet, I ran a chkdsk, to see if there was any problem with the disk. It showed up okay. Then I ran a virus check, to see if maybe a virus got on my system. No problem there either. I then went on the Internet again, and have been on it now for about an hour and my machine seems to be acting normally, no shutting off/on or preventing me from browsing, loading pages, or doing other things. So I am scratching my head over what this was that happened. I am asking for any guesses or theories on what may have happened, or what might be happening, or warning signs of something based on what I have described. Naturally, I am nervous, and hope things stay okay. Is there anything else I can do? This NEVER happened before, what I described.. I am just concerned, too, about hot that hard drive got...you can hardly hold on to it, it is so hot. I don't think that is right, but I need to be educated on how 'hot' hard drives normally get. Maybe it is normal to be hot, I don't know. Thanks for any help, ideas, or suggestions with this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am just concerned, too, about hot that hard drive got...you can hardly hold on to it, it is so hot. I don't think that is right, but I need to be educated on how 'hot' hard drives normally get. Maybe it is normal to be hot,

Warm yes but so hot you can't hold on to it...nope not right.
Let's run a different HD check.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I downloaded the Speed Fan, took the screenshot, and saved it where you wanted me to. Problem is I am having trouble getting it HERE. I tried copying and pasting it...won't work. When I right click on the location, what should I click, and how do I get it to come here with my reply, as you said 'attach it' to your next reply. Sorry, but I don't know how to 'attach it' to get it here. Please give me instructions on how to do this. I am not all that computer savvy, so please try to make it as simple, and step by step as possible. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To attach a file, do the following:
* Click Add Reply and not the Fast Reply
* Under the reply panel where you type your reply is the Attachments Panel to the Right
* Browse for the attachment file you want to upload and double click it, then click the Green Upload button
* Once it has uploaded, you will see a message to the left that says Your file upload was successful
* Click on to Add Reply lower down on the page

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here is the screenshot from the Speed Fan you requested:Untitled.jpg

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I don't know if you can read that, as I don't know how to enlarge it. If you can do so, fine. If not, please tell me how to do it.
That screenshot does not tell the whole story. It is from just one moment in time. I monitored the various settings for about ten minutes and wrote down the values as they changed. By far, "Temp2" was the most active and changed the most. I was struck by the vast extremes in readings.(on Temp2) So I am going to list for you the values as they changed over a ten minute period. It may give you a better insight into what is going on with my system, my hard drive, etc., and if you think there is a problem or not.

Temp1: 38, 38, 38, 38, 38, 38

Temp2: 115, 85, 5, -112, 101, 20, 97, -53, 51, 97, 61, -31, -29, -88, 94, -25, 106, 26, 56, 34, -119, 124, 114, 43, 27, 55, 83, -13, 117, -78, -116, 106, 95, 57, 103, 41, 31, 50, 8, 96, -58, 45, -28, 7, 78, -114, -73, 101

Temp3: 21, 11, 46, 11, 16, 21, 11, 11, 32, 16, 43, 25, 27

Local: 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42, 42

Remote: 27, 28, 27, 27, 27, 28, 27

Core: 31, 32, 30, 31, 31, 31, 31, 31

I will list the information listed on my hard drive, make/model, etc. in my next post. Thank you.

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
HARD DRIVE DETAILS:

WESTERN DIGITAL
120GB
WD CAVIAR
ENHANCED IDE HARD DRIVE
DRIVE PARAMETERS: LBA 234441648
MODEL: WD1200BB-OOFTAO
DATE: 5/3/04
DCM: HSBHNTJCH

Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I will do the Everest thing in my next post, but I wanted to tell you that the same thing happened again today when I first turned on my computer.(it had been off for 12 hours...same thing last time, when I FIRST turn on my computer for the day) The first happened last Sunday the 24th. It didn't happen at all on the 25th, or 26th, but then happened again today. The only thing I know to do is to disconnect the jumper cable and that ribbon looking cable from the hard drive, for about a minute. Then I reconnect both and it works okay. This also worked last Sunday when the problem first emerged. I have no idea why this works, but am, of course, glad it does. But it may indicate there is something wrong with that hard drive, or it is starting to go on me, I don't know. I am just telling you this for your information. I hope it's not my motherboard...I don't think so.(If you want my motherboard information let me know) I am leaning towards a possible hard drive problem...yet undiagnosed. So I will post what you wanted with the Everest utility and hopefully it may glean some information that may help you to diagnose my problem. Something MUST be wrong, as this is obviously not normal. I hope that speed fan information helped. I discovered if you double click on the image here, it will enlarge so you can see all the numbers. Thank you.

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
My next post will have the Everest information, but I must tell you the latest. Tonight, right in the middle of my being on the computer a couple hours, all of a sudden I get the 'shutting off/shutting on' thing. This surprised me very much, as this is the first time it happened in the middle of being on awhile. After shutting off and on a few times, it just shut down completely, like the whole computer was dead.It wouldn't even restart when I hit the power button. That really worried me. I didn't know what to do, so I did what I had done before...disconnected and reconnected the cables to the hard drive. But when I did this, it STILL wouldn't start! This scared me, so I disconnected it again, and thinking it might be overheated, I stuck the hard drive in the refrigerator (please don't laugh...I was frantic). I kept it in there for ten minutes. I also pulled out the power card from the back of the computer for ten minutes....just trying anything. After ten minutes I reconnected the power card and hard drive and turned it on and prayed. It worked, but it was 'slow' in getting to the log on screen, but it got there eventually. I signed in and then I got online with no problem. As I write, I have been on the net for about 2 hours with no problems. So what gives do you think?? I sure hope it isn't my motherboard or something serious going on. If the hard drive is going, I can always pick up another one, but motherboards are not cheap, and who knows what might be wrong. So far, what would you bet is wrong, hard drive going on me or motherboard problem, or possibly something else? I will get you those Everest readings next post. Maybe that will help you to figure it out. I AM worried, naturally. Again, thanks a lot for your help with this.

Advertisements

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Things appear to be getting worse, I'm afraid. I turned on my machine today, and during bootup got the error message: "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." When I did that it would not restart, until I tried it several times and then I finally got to the log in page and then to the desktop, but SLOWLY. Then, online.
The chkdsk I did was good, but maybe there is still something wrong with the hard drive, or maybe the motherboard, I don't know. But I thought I would provide this additional information to you to help you try and help me solve this problem.
I will have the Everest diagnostics for you later today. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well let's test the hard drive itself.

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Some more new information I need to report regarding my problem, and it may be very good. I went to my local computer store and explained this problem to them. I brought the hard drive with me. First thing he noticed was a very little piece of white plastic,(which is why I didn't notice it) that he said was a 'jumper' that was stuck in the hard drive horizontally, not vertically, as it should have been. He also said it really shouldn't have been there in the first place for my particular system and situation, so he removed it. He said this very well could be causing your problems. I asked them if they would be willing to do a test on my hard drive and they said yes. They did what they called a "DFT" test on my drive, which I forgot to ask what those letters meant, but apparently it was a VERY thorough testing of my hard drive, so it may not be necessary now to test it, as afterward, the test showed my hard drive came through perfect with flying colors. So at least we know the hard drive has nothing to do with it. Combine that with this jumper that was in my drive,and shouldn't have been... he thought there was a very good chance my problem would be resolved. He didn't say 100%...he said when you get an error message I'm getting, "A disk read error occurred", there can be MANY causes for it, unfortunately, and he said it is probably one of the most dreaded and frustrating error messages you would ever want to receive. So he said if I still had problems, they would suggest other remedies to try. Well, when I got home I reconnected the drive and am happy to say everything has run very smoothly for me after 6 hours of being online. Of course, I am not out of the woods yet, as this problem has been 'coming and going', although today it really seemed bad what with me getting the error message and having a very hard time getting online. However, I am optimistic, and of course, only time will tell. So I would like to hear your comments about what I have said here about this jumper, etc. and of course if the problem comes back I will tell you. I will also come back from time to time if I am okay, as well. Then we will take it from there. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So I would like to hear your comments about what I have said here about this jumper, etc. and of course if the problem comes back I will tell you.

The jumper really wouldn't have anything to do with the heat you were feeling. The jumper is nothing more then a way for the drive to distinguished if it is a master, slave or a standalone drive.
Yes please let us know how it works out for you as this could also help someone in the future with the same problem.

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Apparently, the heat I am feeling when I hold my hard drive is 'normal' as the tests I just spoke of showed that the temps. of the drive are okay. Maybe I exaggerated a bit when I said that it was so hot I couldn't hold it. It definitely is warm to the touch, and is still the same level of warmth, even with that jumper removed.
You are right about the jumper having really nothing to do with the heat, but being a master, slave or standalone drive. I forgot the computer guy said that to me, as well.
He said it was a wonder that it worked for me for the past three weeks(I bought it 3 weeks ago from them), with that jumper on there, without any of the problems I have described or the error message. I am happy to report that I have had my computer on for about 4 hours today and again absolutely no problems. No shutoffs/turnons, or any error messages. Everything is running very smoothly. It is hard to believe that the removal of that jumper could actually be the reason for my problem. As I said, only time will tell, but I do feel confident at this point. Yes, I will keep updating this post over time, good or bad.