Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Decrypting files after XP re-install

• Please log in to reply

edraz

edraz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I hope someone can help me. I recently posted to see if someone could help me rescue my Windows XP which was struck by a trojan. I ended up re-installing XP and everything seemed to be fine other than having to reinstall all the programs. I ran several anti-virus scans and cleaned it out the best I could. I believe it is virus/trojan free. Now here is my problem. I had my "My Documents" folder encrypted and when Windows re-installed it saved those files in a backup. I remember it asking me something about the encryption but it was late at night and I kept remembering Windows saying all of my data would be O.K. Well as I am re-installing all of my programs I tried to open one that was a PDF. A message popped up saying "access denied." I have read some posts on the net about going into Windows Explorer and clicking on "use simple file sharing." Well I don't have that option to choose from in mine. Anyone out there able to help me. The files are quite important to me. Thanks.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
you can try taking ownership of the backed up folders. goto google and search "winxp take ownership".

hope this helps
later

edraz

edraz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the response. I did try your suggestion but have still not been able to open the files.

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hm... You can't open them unless you use a driver that does not support encryption, not available for Windows, as far as I know. Otherwise, within Windows, I think there's no way to open them.

edraz

edraz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there a way to reverse my installation of XP and go back to my corrupted version, and then try to repair that version.