Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rundll32 Error when opening up Vaio Power Management

• Please log in to reply

Dorothee

Dorothee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I have got a Sony Vaio VGN SZ650N with Windows Vista.
The other day I was accessing the administrator account as I had a problem with my password that wasn't recognised anymore in my own user account and so I deleted the password altogether. However when I was accessing the administrator account, a "Vaio power management" window popped up asking me if I wanted to turn off the CD/DVD device and audio device to save on battery or something like that.
Unfortunately I clicked yes by mistake.

Now my problem is obviously that my sound doesn't work anymore saying that "No audio device is installed"
Now it should be able to just go into Power options and then into the Vaio Power Management tab and turn back on the Audio device. However, when I do try to click on the Vaio Power Management tab, a window saying: "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working." appears.

and the error is:

Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b0e1, faulting module SPMPanel.dll, version 2.1.0.13230, time stamp 0x45b5b56a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00009047, process id 0x1730, application start time 0x01ca9dc04827adef.

The weirdest thing though is that sometimes I will open up my computer and everything will be fine: the sound and accessing Vaio Power Management.
But it is very annoying not to have the sound working all the time!!

Any ideas of solutions to this problem??

Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

Edited by Dorothee, 26 January 2010 - 06:35 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried system restore yet...go back to a week before the problem started...

Dorothee

Dorothee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry for taking so much time to get back to you.
No I haven't tried system restore and I must admit that I'm not quite sure how to do that. What should I do?
Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
guide to using restore is here...

Dorothee

Dorothee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts