Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WORK LAPTOP CANT FIND WIRELESS PRINTER

• Please log in to reply

dpacker

dpacker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

My mum has a Dell work laptop with XP PRO running as the OS, she had problems connecting to our home network a couple of weeks ago, so she rung up work and they tuned her laptop to channel 13 and it worked fine. We have now tried to setup the wireless lexmark 4800 series printer to the laptop - no luck. We have put in the ip address and have made the software search for it, but again .. no luck! My mums work wont support us because it isnt a wired printer e.t.c could the fact that it is tuned to channel 13 be the reason why it doesn't pick it up? The printer works with my mac and my sisters laptop running windows 7

Any suggestions to make it work would be greatly appreciated! (apart from going wired, (not really suitable)

Edited by dpacker, 25 January 2010 - 11:27 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi dpacker Welcome to Geekstogo.
Since you seem to know what an ip address is I will assume you know how to do basic steps with ipconfig and ping
If not let me know and I will give more detailed instructions.
The printer you have comes in 2 versions of wireles do you know which one you have.

1)If your printer has a factory installed internal wireless print server, the MAC address is a series of letters and numbers
located on the back of your printer.

2)If you purchased the internal wireless print server separately, the MAC address appears on an adhesive label that
came with the wireless print server.

Channel 13 should not be the problem. I assume your mother is using your internal wireless connection and not a mobile connection.
Some anti virus programs like McAfee can cause this problem where you can see the internet but not other computers.

Step 1 is to make sure you are all on the same network.
Are you ok to work with windows 7 or do you need mac instructions?

On windows 7 go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig enter
you should get an ip address eg 192.168.0.100 or eg 10.0.0.100

Next go to the command prompt on XP and do the same. are the numbers the same except the last digit ?
If yes then on the xp machine type in ping (then the ip address of the windows machine) enter Do you get a reply or a time out ?

If you get a time out try and suspend (or snooze) the anti virus on the xp machine - normal way is to right click on the anti virus icon in the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar. Try a ping again do you get a time out or a reply ?

If you get a reply with the anti virus turned on then on the xp machine
ping the ip address of the printer (in your post you say you know the printers ip) do you get a reply or a time out ?

Cheers
Peterm

dpacker

dpacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi ...

Sorry, but i dont know what PING is e.t.c, could you give me further detail as i dont want to mess it up for my mum!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No Problem.
What I put in blue you type what I put in red you do eg enter means press enter.
Ok on the windows 7 machine click on start. Type in cmd enter
When the black screen pops up your cursor will be flashing at the prompt. Type in ipconfig enter this will give you the machines ip address the subnet mask and the gateway.
eg ip = 192.168.0.101 subnet = 255.255.255.0 gateway = 192.168.0.1 (examples only).

On the xp machine click on Start>all programs>accessories>command prompt Type in ipconfig enter
The ip should be different to the windows 7 machine by 1 or 2 numbers. The subnet and the gateway should be the same.
If the ip address is close to the ip of the windows 7 machine & the subnet and gateway are the same. Then on the xp machine
type in ping (the ip address of the windows 7 machine) enter.
Do you get a time out or a reply ?

Cheers
peterm