Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

partition hard drive

• Please log in to reply

badgerbum

badgerbum

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all.
my daughter has a laptop ,that has had a clean install (xp)and the person who done this put. c drive at 78gb and e drive at 2gb. all program install goes to e drive, which means i cant install anti virus or anything else as there is no room left.
can someone help with step by step instructions on how to increase the hard drive space.
i`m aware that there are other threads on this already, but think i need stupid dad help.
many thanks to anyone who can help this dad out :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unfortunately, to do this correctly you would have to basically uninstall all of the stuff that's already been installed to the "E: drive" then modify the partition information. at which point you could reinstall all of that stuff..

what's preventing you from simply installing anything new to the C: drive instead of the E: drive and just leave the E: drive as it is?

badgerbum

badgerbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
cheers for the reply.
I thought about doing that, but remember what i said. STUPID DAD. how do i change install path to c drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
C SHOULD be the default location for installs...you usually have tell it to install elsewhere

press start, then run, then type "regedit" (without quotes) and press enter. this will open the registry editor

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion (in the left hand side, double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then windows, then current version)

in the right window find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files. double click that and tell me what the value is

badgerbum

badgerbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi
value data
E:\program files
programfilesDir
E:\Programfiles

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
change the E: to C:, press ok and close out of regedit and restart your computer and you should be good to go...assuming you've still got free space on C:

Edited by dsenette, 26 January 2010 - 01:01 PM.

badgerbum

badgerbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
done that. downloaded anti viorus and some went to e:drive still. i know this as warning came up for low disk space.
if i go into regedit again and change all E: to C:will this work?
cheers

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
NO...do NOT do that..

can you go back to that setting that i mentioned above and tell me what it says again?

badgerbum

badgerbum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ProgramfilesDir C:\programFiles