Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp, no desktop, no startbar, taskman and reg disabled

• Please log in to reply

WolfGame

WolfGame

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so im fixing a computer for a friend. when i first got it everything was a mess. I couldn't even getting close to doing anything with it until i started to clean the virus. so i installed avast anti virus for a jump drive.

i had it do a scan from reboot before windows booted up. well that the new problem begins. it took over 3 hours to do a 30gb hard drive. well it deleted over 150 infections and after it went to boot all the way up. that's when i stated to get the no desktop, no start-bar, task-man and reg disabled. so i cant get to anything to back it up. i cant see it on the network. so with no start-bar/desktop and no cmd or run command im stuck on what to do next

they dont have there xp cd so i cant reinstall or recover, and my old xp cd wont boot

btw i have tried all safe modes and tried to put cmd and expoler.exe on a jump drive but it wont auto run so i cant get to the files on it

i look forward to a reply and hopefuly get this fixed

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

WolfGame

WolfGame

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i understand why your needing me to do that other stuff first but that problem is. i cant get anything to run/install in a normal boot up or a safemode boot up. since i have just a blank screen i cant open files or programs. i have tryed running stuff from a flash drive or a cd but the auto run wont go.

so unless i missed a step in your guide i dont know how i would comply to it. i will go reread now see if i miss something.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
can you tell me what tools you ran on the machine to try fix the malware ?

WolfGame

WolfGame

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the only thing i ran was avast anti virus and it did a pre windows scan

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
you didn't run combofix ?

got your windows cd handy ?

WolfGame

WolfGame

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No i didn't use combofix or anything else that only thing i ran was avast. i have a xp cd but it wont boot up. i even tried the xp in a different laptop but it times out. i might have to borrow one from some. i would think if i could get a hold of a xp cd i could recover windows or reinstall windows.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
boot from the cd and perform a windows repair

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html