Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios setup

• Please log in to reply

bensonsbird

bensonsbird

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have just been given a pc. It is an e machine. Wen i start it up, it says incorrect drive a type run setup. I press del to setup but dont know wot to do next. Pls help.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Before I give the rest of my instructions, does the computer boot ok when you press F1 to continue (or whatever key that allows you to continue)???? If so, thats good. Read on...

Drive "a" sounds like the floppy diskette drive, which are pretty much useless or at least very dated technology. I would suggest going into the BIOS like you have been, look for a section called "Drive Configuration" or something similar. Follow the instructions on the screen that will disable the floppy disk, many BIOS' are the space bar to disable a certain drive, but there are several kinds of BIOS setups.

If you have no luck, or in the mean time, I may be able to give more detailed instruction if you:

Give the Name and Model Number of the computer, i.e. Dell Optiplex GX270 or EMachines T4230, etc.
Also, when in the BIOS, it should say what BIOS it is... something like with AMI and numbers or revisions behind it. Let me know what that is.

Let me know how it goes... after disabling the floppy disk, it should boot without that error code.