Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Java Web Start

• Please log in to reply

Mokie

Mokie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to play this game called Haven and Hearth, and it's run in Java. I click the link to start it, and Java Web Start opens up. It opens up, and it does nothing.

Go here for a link to a picture showing the problem:

http://i638.photobuc...ng?t=1264478784

It just stays like that. What could I do to get it to start working properly?

Advertisements

sikvik

sikvik

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Are other Java games working?
Run this test for Java.
http://java.com/en/d...?...t=jre&try=2

Also check what version of Java is running on you PC from Add/Remove.
The latest is v6 Update 18
Remove any older versions from Add/remove and download and install the latest from:
http://www.java.com/en/download/

:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

sikvik

sikvik

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
rshaffer61, wanted to mention JavaRA. Was unsure - if linking to other sites was permissible. Cheers :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as the site is the manufacturer of that program and it is not a P2P site or anything like that.

Mokie

Mokie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My version of Java is the latest version, version 6, update 18. It's the only version of Java in my computer right now.

sikvik

sikvik

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Mokie, I visited the the site. It's in *alpha* development. The developers have warned of bugs. While they mention the Java applet automatically reports errors/bugs - one does have the option to report personally.
Hope things work out. Let us know. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My version of Java is the latest version, version 6, update 18. It's the only version of Java in my computer right now.

You ran the JavaRa to rid yourself of all other versions?
As sikvik described i also read the same issues with the game and it being in development Alpha form.