Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not boot. Lost on where to go next!

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
You said you have UBCD i suggest you download and make UBCD 4 Win http://www.ubcd4win.com/ . Use that program to create the boot up cd. You will need a large storage device that will connect via USB (flash drive, or portable hard drvie). Connect the USB device first then boot to UBCD 4 Win cd then you will be able to transfer files out of the hard drive into the USB dvice. If you dont have a large USB storage device you can connect an extra HD with an IDE cable and with UBCD 4 win you should be able to transfer files.

Advertisements

wavewolfaroha

wavewolfaroha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
FYI

from http://puppylinux.org/main/

The latest official version is Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (pup-431.iso).

Go directly to the downloads page of the latest official release (Get the pup-431.iso):
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 download at ibiblio.org

Or see the latest release page. There is a Firefox version of 4.3.1 - see the news page.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

FYI

from http://puppylinux.org/main/

Go directly to the downloads page of the latest official release (Get the pup-431.iso):
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 download at ibiblio.org

Or see the latest release page. There is a Firefox version of 4.3.1 - see the news page.

We are aware of that, but we use the puppy linux version 2.16 because it is easier and less resources for what we need.

wavewolfaroha

wavewolfaroha

• Pip
  • 4 posts
123Runner: thanks for explanation of using earlier version!

Edited by wavewolfaroha, 29 January 2010 - 02:40 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

FYI

We are aware of that, but we use the puppy linux version 2.16 because it is easier and less resources for what we need.

and I have screenshots for 2.16 for those that have trouble understanding the directions

Panda10

Panda10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is fixed. I ended up using the Skeptic and 123Runner's idea of using a usb flash drive. I was able to transfer needed files to my laptop. I used the Boot and Nuke function on the Ultimate boot disk and erased the hard drive. This took about 6 hours. I then was able to repartition the hard-drive and install windows completely. It is now a nice very clean version of windows xp. I am currently using the networking capability to return the files to the computer. I don't know how to thank everyone for their help. After about 2 weeks of working on it I can't believe it is fixed. My father-in-law is so happy because he wasn't sure how he was going to get a new computer. We are going out tomorrow to get him a good virus protection. Any recommendations? I like pc-cillin. I don't like mcafee or norton but I am willing to taken suggestions. Thank you again for all your advice and help. The skeptic thank you for pointing me to puppy linux. I think I am going to keep a copy for issues in the future as I really like it. Thank you again.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Regarding Anti-virus: my personal choice, by far, is Avast. It's free and only require registration.Download version 5 from here. Please note: Avast updates automatically but does not run automatic scans (which I like). Run a manual scan once every two weeks or so.

I would also recommend Malwarebytes free. Malarebytes is one of the best anti spyware/adware programs. The free version require manual update and scan. You can download it here.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am glad that you have resolved the issues you had.

I prefer Avira. It is also free. I prefer this one because the interface is easier for me to use. It updates daily and runs automatic scans. You will get Avira popups wanting you to buy the professional, but click ok and it goes away for awhile.

As The Skeptic stated, Avast is another one that we at Geeks to Go prefer.
Both are light on resources.

123runner

Edited by 123Runner, 31 January 2010 - 06:20 AM.