Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logs on and off/Registry question?

• Please log in to reply

crazycoolmarc14

crazycoolmarc14

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everybody,

So I have a friend who got the old malware and she and her father managed to get rid of most of it, but apparently she ended up getting a "Cannot find 'logon.exe'" error for whatever reason, so her dad went through the registry (recklessly, might I add) searching, deleting, and creating random files. I ended up going over to fix it, and it appears that she's in an infinite loop of "log on; log off." I Googled it (thank God for Google) and found that it could've possibly been a missing "userinit.exe" file that's still attached to the Userinit registry key. Well... Since I couldn't log on, I had to use a BartPE disc to boot from and it appears that she has two partitions (C: and D: respectively) BOTH with Windows on it. I've gone to the Userinit key on both of the drives (loading the hives from the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Software file and the D:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Software file) and fiddled with the settings, but I guess my question is, do I set the C: drives registry to C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe and the D: to D:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe in that way, or set both of them to the C:/D:, or do something completely different? It seems no matter what I do, though, it doesn't work. I really don't want to have to reformat as she has a TON of stuff on it, but I just can't seem to find a correct setting for the registry key. I also would like to know how to tell the computer from which partition to boot from (I know that, hypothetically, if you had Leopard or Linux or whatever OS on it you could press F8 and get to a 'select OS' screen, but both partitions are running XP, and both partitions have their own registry)? I think maybe that would work, as I would (somewhat) know which registry key XP is loading from. Many thanks in advance!

Advertisements