Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Desktop Files -- Help!

• Please log in to reply

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

it's very simple. i inserted xp installation disk, i did a clean install of windows xp over a copy of existing windows xp installation(because there was an error and i could not boot windows anymore), and after that it's as though windows xp was just installed, and i installed regional and language settings.. blah blah yada and my desktop comes up.

Ironically it's empty..

Q: where did my c:\documents and settings\<user>\desktop\ files from the old windows xp installation go?

Really hoping someone can help me, i have really important files. Thanks

Advertisements

rdnk71

rdnk71

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Did you format the hard drive when you ran setup. If you formated the disk on setup the files will most likley be gone.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i did not formatt.. i selected "keep the file system intact" in 3 choices.. the other 2 choices are Format using ntfs and format using ntfs(fast)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you must have done a Parallel Installation then if you did not replace or repair the current OS.
I am including the instructions for how to get your data files if indeed you did a Parallel Installation then your data is there.

This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 January 2010 - 07:55 AM.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay i will try that out now i'm working with two cpu(s) around now, will get back to you later, thanks alot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and we will monitor this for your reply. :)

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
HI rshaffer,

i am installing a totally new fresh copy on another hard disk(formatted and partitioned), i have disconnected the previously mentioned hard disk. However, when after "setup is copying the neccesary files" and during the process, some files failed to be loaded/copied(but i just skipped anyway), after just 99%, the thing turns into a blue screen(something like a bSoD)
Here's the error :
[codebox]
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

THe problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

CHeck to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a newinstallation, ask you hardware or softwa manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory options such as caching or chadowing.
IF you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart you computer, press f8 to selet advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

blah blah blah some 0x00000050 (000-00-) stuff that i thik nis irrelevant haha.

[/codebox]

After that, i cannot start up the windows xp installation. Seems that the file has a problem. I will try to troubleshoot in the meantime, but do you have any remedies for it in mind?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is the XP a Genuine Microsoft disk or is it a burned or downloaded copy?
Have you checked the disk for scratches or being dirty?
Is this a full version or a Recovery disk?

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's genuine, there are not obvious scratches, and it's a full version. Sigh, i'm hoping for the best :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well we need to take a look at a few things then.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yep i am already running hard disk diagnostics now, it's an old hard disk, from western digital. created a bootable cd.. ran a quick test.. no errors, running an extended test now, would take some time.. will update soon. thank you so much for staying with me, (:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and after that probably need to run memtest to make sure there is no problem with it.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i'm sorry, i think i did not catch option a, did you mean the hard disk test as option a ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No the last instructions are for testing the memory...sorry i didn't clarify that.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i think it could be my ram. i'm looking at thousands of errors. i shall replace the ram with other rams that i possess. will get back in awhile..

any advice on what to do after that? eg: try windows installation again