Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Desktop Files -- Help!

• Please log in to reply

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Update:

THANKS rshaffer!

windows installation got thru, i formatted and did ntfs format(w/o fast).
Now i'm going thru windows gui installation.

However, i have one question in mind.

my main aim was to retrieve a few particular files in OLDHARDDISK:\documents and settings\<user>\desktop.

for OLDHARDDISK, i believed i installed a parrallel installation as you mentioned. how do i retrieve it? please advise.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At the bottom of my instructions it tells you how to get the old data but without knowing exactly what you did and if you didn't name the new windows a little different then it's going to be hidden somewhere...no joy...or you may have kept file system but overwritten the windows folder.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
rshaffer i cannot thank you more than enough for guiding me thru this installation whether it worked or not.

I connected the old hard disk as slave on cable select, and i manage to start the darn old hard disk uP!

well for the old hard disk i did mention i installed windows in it, but it only managed to get to the after repair installation process into the xp installation startup gui. it got stuck installing devices(which i am super happy about). the files on the desktop are still intact!

I have given you the wrong information though, because i was working with 2 cpu with repair installations each to it's own. the very first installation i mentioned was at the cpu at my workplace(everything went thru smoothly). the other one i had to retrive files from was my personal comp(the one that did not make it thru the whole of installation)

So there.. everything is fine now, i'm so glad. although the drivers are lost, i still am glad i can retrieve the files. THANKS!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers are easy and if you let me know what you need i can help with that also.
What I would need is if it is a name brand system then I would need the make and model of it. If custom built then I would need to know the make and model of the motherboard.
Congratulations for everything working out and please don't hesitate to ask if you would like some help with the drivers.

AHappyGeek

AHappyGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
haha, thanks alot rshaffer.

i'll quote the make and model and specs of the cpu later, i'm at work now, prolly 3 ~ 4 hours later.

i think i'll handle the drivers just fine, now that i know what's wrong..
but sure i'll ask if i've got problem! never thought that posting here would find me a great solution and such nice support even though i'm not a consumer.

Be posting later~!

Have a great night rshaffer

Matthew Ho