Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

clearcomms

clearcomms

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My wife's laptop connects to the internet via a wireless connection to my router. This has worked perfectly for months, till the last few days.
Now there are repeated problems. Earlier this morning, for instance, she accessed her e-mails and got good results on an ADSL speed test.
But at this moment Thunderbird can't access the server, and neither can Firefox. They don't appears to have a network connection.
Yet Windows shows the network as connected, signal strength very good, Speed 54 Mbps.
I've tried rebooting, and disconnecting and reconnecting.
It isn't her firewall (Zonealarm Security Suite) causing it, as I experimentally shut that down, without effect.
She runs XP Home, fully updated.
All suggestions gratefully received, as this is driving us both crazy!

PS As I'm unsure which is the best place to post this (I'm new here) I've also posted this in the software section

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You may want to try resetting both TCP/IP and Winsock on your computer to help with your troubles.
To successfully complete this, you will need to be at a command prompt.
Click on Start then Run. In the Run box type CMD and press enter.
You will now see a black window with one line of text and a blinking cursor.

You will next type:

• netsh int ip reset tcp.log

This will reset your TCP/IP settings.

Next you will reset Winsock:

You will type:

• netsh winsock reset sock.log

When the Winsock is finished you will be directed to restart your computer. Type exit in the window and press enter.

From here you will do a normal restart on your computer and retest your network connection.

clearcomms

clearcomms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that - I tried it.

TCP/IP reset didn't work - the key bits of the resulting response were

>>syntax not valid
Usage= reset [name=]<string>
Parameters
Tag=value
name=name of a file<<

The winsock reset worked fine. I restarted the computer, and had to repair the windows network connection. This all worked fine, and I was connected to the wireless network as before. The network appeared absolutely normal.

And as before Thunderbird couldn't connect, although the relevant light on the wireless card was flashing like billy-oh, so we are where we were. It's a b*******!

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Are you running windows xp or Vista?

clearcomms

clearcomms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As I said in my original posting, the laptop runs on XP Home

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Sorry, I must have missed that.

You may want to consider running Malwarebytes on the computer to check for any kind of spyware infection.

Scan for Spyware/Adware

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a.k.a. MBAM - Download Free Version - Homepage
Why? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is very good at removing the zlob trojan, virtumonde, and most other current infections. This single tool has replaced multiple tools that have been required in the past.

• 1. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. At the end, confirm a check mark is placed next to the following:

• Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • 2. At the end, confirm a check mark is placed next to the following:
  • 3. Then click Finish.
  • 4. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • 5. Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • 6. When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • 7. Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • 8. When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.

Note: Some infections will prevent MBAM from running. If MBAM won't run, try renaming the file mbam-setup.exe to a random name, and then try again.

Note:
Reinstall MBAM if you installed and ran a scan in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
Post that log for review. When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

Spybot Search & Destroy TeaTimer
There are two ways to disable TeaTimer

1)
  • Launch Spybot Search & Destroy Posted Image
  • In the Menu, Select Mode and choose Advanced Mode
  • Click Yes in the confirmation dialogue box
  • click on Tools to expand the menu. Make sure that Resident is checked and then click Resident in the left pane.
  • In the right pane uncheck Resident "Tea timer" (Protection of over-all system settings) to disable it.
  • Uncheck the TeaTimer box and OK any prompts.
  • If Teatimer gives you a warning that changes were made, click the "Allow Change" box when prompted.
  • Exit Spybot S&D when done.
  • (Once you are clean, you can re-enable Teatimer using the same steps but this time place a check next to "Resident TeaTimer" and check the "TeaTimer" box in System Startup.]

2)
  • Right click the TeaTimer icon in the system Tray Posted Image
  • Then click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident
  • (One you are clean you can restart TeaTimer by going to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, and double clicking on TeaTimer.exe