Need help, about to apply brick to computer.....
Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:49 AM
Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:45 AM
before formatting you could try a repair install (if you've got an actual XP disk and not a recovery disk).
Repair the Windows XP installation.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
- Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
- When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
- When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
- Press ENTER.
- Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
- A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:
- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
- To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
- Press R.
You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.
How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP.
Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:51 AM
Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:55 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users