Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help restoring windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI adapter.

Is that removable or part of the system?
Something you can try is to run a network cable from your system to the router\modem and see if it connects then. If it does then we would know the internet part does work and we could continue on with the wireless part.

Advertisements

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I tried that when I was working with Rorschach and it did not work then. I guess I should have suspected then that something was wrong. As far as the removable part yes it is.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am on the internet through a direct cable from the modem! Still no wireless but at least this is something. Where do I go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect the issue is a defective adapter and not the drivers as they appear to be intact. Now short of replacing that adapter I see no other alternative to this.
If the Wireless adapter is not capable of being removed then your only other option is being hard wired to the internet.
Where you hardwired is that the same place the wireless was inserted?
If so then you should have a component in your hands.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes I believe it is a separate adapter that can be removed. Now if I decide to just use my laptop hardwired is the rest of my system okay? Oops another question: when I go to "Start" and "All Programs" nothing shows up. I have to access "My Computer" then "C: Drive" to see my programs. Is there a way we can fix that? Thanks!

Edited by Jeffrey_RedSox2007, 30 January 2010 - 03:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything else should be ok.
As far as the All Programs issue you will need to reboot and go into Safe Mode as Administrator. This is the default login so no worry there.

Then go to Start and then to Run and type in the following making sure to click Enter after.

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Restart Windows. If that does not help, inspect and fix the the Shell Folder data for Start Menu, Programs, Common Start Menu and Common Programs.

NOTE: Backup the Registry before modifying it. See this page for more information on backing up the registry keys.

Typing REGEDIT.EXE in the Start, Run dialog. Fix the data for these four registry values: (The defaults can be taken from the UserShellFolders page.)

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

* Common Start Menu
* Common Programs

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

* Start Menu
* Programs

If Common Programs value is not available in the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named Common Programs and assign the data as said above. Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

Edited by rshaffer61, 31 January 2010 - 06:25 PM.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll did not work. I tried REGEDIT but truly I am lost. I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but cannot find Common Start Menu or Common Programs. Same with HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I see (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)when I select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Is that what you want me to change?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this instead. Do you have your WIN XP installation disk? Try running the next steps and if you don't have your disk do not worry at the bottom will include the instructions if you don't.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Still no luck. It came up with a message

Error loading
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ParetoLogic\UUS2\UUS.dll

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ParetoLogic is your antivirus
This has nothing to do with the sfc.
Do you have that antivirus program on your system?

Advertisements

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have McAfee

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that says Paralogic and restart.
Post back with the results

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
No Paralogic found

AGRSMMSG
Ltmoh
igfxtray
hkcmd
SOUNDMAN
PDVDServ
iTunesHelper
WMPNSCFG
ctfmon

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well this is a head scratcher for sure.
Does the file even exist in that location?

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Not that I can see