Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help restoring windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something is finding it.
Can you do a search from the start button and see if it finds it on your C drive anyplace please.

Advertisements

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I ran the search and it came up with nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that is just strange. It isn't showing anyplace but something is finding it.
The only other place it possibly could be is in the registry.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I found ParetoLogic in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Software.

ParetoLogic

ParetoLogic UUS2 path REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Common Files\ParetoLogic\U...

What do I do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing is to backup your registry just in case. To do that we use Erunt because it backs up the complete registry.
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set,
including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, There are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files.
The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

Once that is done then I would suggest right clicking on that key and deleting the Paretologic entry.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay hopefully I can connect to internet again. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Everything went well with ERUNT. I deleted ParetoLogic from the registry and rebooted with no problem. Everything seems to be working okay with the exception of the All Programs. Is there anyway I can get those programs back?

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

Jeffrey_RedSox2007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I did some investigation and I can recreate my All Programs so I guess I am all set for now. I can't thank you and Rorschak enough. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope I won't have to visit you guys for a while. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not taken wrong as we understand. Please visit the other forums if for nothing else just to pick up some tips. Congratulations for your issue being hopefully resolved. Thank you for allowing us to assist you and for visiting GeeksToGo. :) :) :) :)