Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bizarre problem when adding DDR PC2700 Memory

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I am upgrading the RAM in someone's PC made circa 2004.

It already has 256MB of DDR PC2700 RAM (the original amount).

There are three slots total.

According to crucial.com, they do not have to be matching pairs.

When I took the 256MB out and put in three sticks of 512MB DDR PC2700 RAM, the machine would freeze up after a few minutes.

I could boot into Windows, but the mouse pointer would freeze and I'd have to hold in the power button in order to reboot.

A couple times, I got a blue screen of death saying the problem could be recently installed hardware, so I opened the machine back up and made sure all sticks of memory were snapped into place properly, which they were.

So, I put the original 256MB back in its original position and tried adding just two sticks of 512MB.

Same problem.

Is the motherboard maybe not powerful enough to handle more than 256 or 512?

If anyone has any idea of what might be causing this and how I can remedy it, so I can get 1.5GB of RAM installed on this machine, would be most grateful for your help.

Crucial is saying the max memory for the machine is 3GB, but maybe they're just basing this on the fact it is three slots.

Crucial said it can't determine the manufacturer, model, etc. since it's a homemade PC.

Thanks again so much for any direction!

Jeff

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you download and run System Information Works, we can get a much better handle on what brand / model motherboard is installed. It will also tell you how much RAM your system can support.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Please close. Issue resolved.

Edited by JeffM, 27 January 2010 - 08:52 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Would you be able to post the resolution to your problem? It will help other users in the future with the same problem.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Would you be able to post the resolution to your problem? It will help other users in the future with the same problem.

Sorry for the long absence. I believe the problem is that the motherboard only likes DDR 400 and not DDR 333, even though the PDF manual for the motherboard says it will take either.

I have not gotten the chance to try the 400 out yet, though, as the people whose PC I'm installing it in are still on vacation. However, a guy I know who's been in IT all his life said he looked up the info I sent him online and said it requires DDR 400. All this time I had only been trying 333. So if it works, I'll post back and let you know.

BTW, does anyone know the member here who's signature had a bunch of helpful downloads? There's this thing I'm trying to remember, which breaks down and shows you where your HD is going, something like spaceman.exe? If you can link me to that helper here, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the great work you guys do here.

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 20 February 2010 - 08:47 PM.