Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with question, please

• Please log in to reply

brandon1080

brandon1080

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What is the difference between kilo-bytes and kilo-bytes per second and how are they measured?

Advertisements

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Kilobytes is a quantity. Kilobytes per second is how many kilobytes will flow in one second, although in telecommunication
transmission speeds are usually reported in kilobits per second (1,000 bits/sec).

On the internet a server's bandwidth* meter measures the amount of kilobytes flowing to/from your computer in one second intervals, and reports this usually in kilobits/sec.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte
and http://en.wikipedia....byte_per_second

EDIT: *typo corrected. :)

Edited by easyday, 31 January 2010 - 09:27 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This looks like a homework question. Brandon1080, with all the resources of the internet available to you, the best you could do is ask the question here and let someone else do the research? For shame - you should do the research yourself.

citadel77

citadel77

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yes but Sari, is asking the wise (and many of you are)for knowledge not a form of research? Someone at some point took the time to write the wiki articles easyday used for referencing him/herself no?

For sake of argument :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The original poster is a new member with only one post. If he could go to the trouble of finding our site, registering, and posting a question, he should have been able to type "definition of kilobytes per second" into Google. Yes, someone took the time to write those articles; he should take the time to find them on his own. We're not a homework board.

Just for the sake of argument. :)

citadel77

citadel77

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Alright Sari you convinced me I'm on your side :) .....

Didn't put those facts into consideration lol, you're (read your grammar thread, has me watching my grammar and spelling all the time now) right. I suppose if he took the time to register with us, he very well could have went to wiki even easier huh?

Well for sake of argument I hand over the win to you lol :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Was there any question that I would win? :)

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and use "you're" properly! It warms my heart!

citadel77

citadel77

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
You're quite welcome. Thank you for taking the time to actually care about proper grammar, now that warms my heart :) , so many people especially on the Internet don't care lol