Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WRR54gs2 Router Issues

• Please log in to reply

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello everyone, I am having an issue on a client's PC dealing with the router mentioned in the Topic Title. The issue is as follows:

When the line is pugged into the PC directly there is no issue with connectivity. However when you try to connect the modem to the router and the router to the PC the good old cannot display page pops up. When I click the diagnose problem button I receive the following:

Windows cannot connect to internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP.
This is probably caused by firewall settings on this comp.
Check firewall settings for the HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443 or FTP port 21
Or Contact your ISP or Firewall Manufacturer.

I have compared settings when plugged in directly to those that the router is reading and the IP address is correct as well as the subnet and dns.

Any help is greatly appreciated if more information is required just tell me what you need and I will post back. Thanks everyone

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
has this setup ever worked or did you just get the router?

is this DSL that you're connecting to?

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the quick response. :)

This client just purchased a new router so they have never had this config working with the new router. They had a NetGear router that worked just fine for many years but it had some issues after a power surge and would no longer power on. The config is as follows:

2 computers connected via network cable to the router and one laptop - wireless. None can get connected to the net when connecting through the router.

The ISP is WildBlue which they say is comparable to always on DSL. I have never had any experience with WIldBlue up until now so I had to look that up on their website.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
typically with DSL you have to change the modem to "bridge mode" then set the authentication info in the router directly (usually pptp)...check the wildblue support site to see if they've got instructions on how to do this

bobafett81181

bobafett81181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I looked high and low on the wild blue site and couldn't find anything. I chatted with their tech support and they wouldn't give me any information because they will not provide tech support for a third party. They offered to connect me to linksys and when I told them that Linksys suggested that I contact them as the ISP they said they couldn't answer anymore questions told me to have a nice day and hung up.

So, it's back to the dreawing board. The only answer I did get from them was that they do use DHCP to assign IP addresses. I don't know if that will help but at least I walked away with some form of information.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is this a satellite service?

...i'm looking around and i've found a few reports of that particular router being incompatible with their service (for some unknown reason...it's a router)
posts by wb suggest the compatibility issue

and here

and here some guy bought a bunch of routers at once and a netgear worked but the linksys didn't

Edited by dsenette, 27 January 2010 - 02:57 PM.