Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't go to any search engine..computer says time out or link appe

• Please log in to reply

scandles406

scandles406

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't know if I'm posting in the right forum??

I need HELP...It started with google anytime I tried to go it would say it timed out. But I could still go to gmail.com .. now I can't go there or bing or even if I try and search something in yahoo. ?? I can go to yahoo.mail or just yahoo but if I use the search engine it won't work?

I use Firefox and so I tried to go with internet explorer and it did the same but instead of saying timed out it said the link was broken.

I NEED to google?? Please help..I know my way around a computer enough to get around not really tech savvy I guess??

Oh I can go to ask.com which I found this solution going through: about:config in my browser ..I did all that and nothing changed.

Sooo looking forward to hearing a response!!

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP
Can you get to and download OTL or MBAM?

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Ron

scandles406

scandles406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ron,

Thanks for the advice. I do have that exact Malware on my computer and after running full scans, there is nothing to remove..i.e. no issues found.

The problems seem to be only with "search" components of various websites.. google, yahoo and bing. I can access other sites through Firefox and sometimes search there...for example ask.com... I'm really hoping to avoid bringing this into geek squad or something similar...

I really appreciate the help with this...anything else I can do??

Thanks again...

Shannon

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP
Can you run OTL?

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

IF not at least tell me what version of windows you have.

Ron

scandles406

scandles406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I run WindowsXP and I don't understand what that link is to? I don't know what OTL or that other thing was either. I have ran Malarebytes and it doesn't find anything?

I'm so frustrated thank you for trying to help me!

Shannon

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP
The link is to our instructions. You should be able to just click on it then Step 5 of the instructions explains how to run the OTL program and get a log which we need to see in order to help you. Just copy the log and paste it into a reply.

Ron

scandles406

scandles406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok....I went to step five..downloaded OTL? Tryed to open it. It popped open a window that said:

"Windows coannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the approprae permissions to access the item'

(Yes, I wrote with pen and paper word for word what it said.)

So I closed that and a window popped up that said

"Launch application"

and "choose application"

and "file"??

when I hit ok when it's on file nothing happens.

Confussed even more Now?? Boutsta cray soon! Never knew how much I NEED to google!!

Shannon

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP
Is this Vista or Win 7? Try right click on OTL and Run As Administrator.

Check your hosts file:

start, Run, notepad, OK

Then File Open and find the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

The only line you really need is
127.0.0.1 localhost

Delete all the rest and File Save. Exit

Ron