Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Desktop Mail will not open

• Please log in to reply

rachelhope13

rachelhope13

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have been getting some Wonderful help on the Malware Side of the site...now my Windows Live Desktop mail application is freezing up, when I first ran the ComboFix is said my Calendar (which I do not use) was corrupted, I uninstalled Windows Essentials and Reinstalled, my Messenger comes up fine, but when I try to open the Mail app it stalls and then tries to recover the database...it never makes it thru the recovery and just goes away.

Here is a link to the thread to see what we have done so far...

http://www.geekstogo...2x-t265946.html

I am attaching the error windows from the Mail app

Attached Thumbnails

• problems.jpg

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello rachelhope13,

Glad the Malware forum has cleaned up your PC! Good job to you as well. Now to the current problem..

Agh.. Windows Live Essentials. A pain in the arse if there ever was one. When you reinstall it, sometimes not all programs are installed. You may not even have the Mail portion installed..

Go to Add/Remove Programs and choose Windows Live Essentials again. First off, I do believe there is a repair option on the screen that should come up? Have you tried that yet? If not, try that.

It should also give you options to uninstall certain programs. Live programs will have checkboxes to their left.. only choose the Mail one. Uninstall. Then go here and reinstall.

DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW UP WITH A COMPLETE SYSTEM REBOOT :)

Try that. If it's still a no go... Then choose the repair option. If STILL a no go, I'll try to think of something else :) Best regards,

-Jason

rachelhope13

rachelhope13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Nope, these steps don't work, I have tried both of them, but I went ahead and tried them again...when I reinstall it, It does NOT add the icon for Mail to my desktop or my start menu OR my Quick Launch, so maybe it is just not installing it?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm.. well you can check. The most likely place is:

C:\ > Program Files > Windows Mail > WinMail.exe

Maybe that's the problem! Maybe the shortcut on your desktop before had been corrupted and led you to something different.. If WinMail.exe is in the folder as previously stated, test it out to see if it works. If it does (crossing fingers) then right click the program to (a.)Add to Quick Launch, and (b.)Create shortcut.

If still a no go... well, I hope this works. I'll keep thinking though.

-Jason :)

rachelhope13

rachelhope13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
There was no Windows Mail folder and when I searched for WinMail.exe it didn't come up...I have a Windows Live folder and in that folder is a Mail folder, but I don't see a .exe file in that folder