Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combo Fix is Screwing my System Up, Help

• Please log in to reply

LIZMERRILL

LIZMERRILL

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a problem. I ran combofix, renamed when running it, to remove a rootkit.
During the process, it had to reboot my laptop, xp. During boot it goes to a screen
where (like hitting f8) it gives you choices i.e., safe mode, safe mode with networking, while at the same counting down to boot windows normally. Then when it reboots, it ends up on the same screen again. I had to select safe mode, at which point, programs did come up. I check msconfig, startup programs, all there normally, but again, it go to f8 screen, and loop again, instead of booting windows completely.
What can I do. I have a feeling combofix screwed my system.
Help, Please.

Liz

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:) lizmerril

Sorry to hear about your problems

Due to the fact you have a malware problem this forum is not the one to be posting in. (for malware cleaning assistance)

But it is the correct one to help you fix your boot problems.

Why did you run Combofix?

Were you instructed by someone at another forum?

This tool should NEVER be used without the supervision of an expert trained in its proper use. Otherwise there can be some "undesirable results."
There are several steps that are supposed to be taken before even installing and running that program to aide in fixing the computer if this sort of thing happens.
Hopefully you have take those steps.

Anyways I'm not comfortable assisting you with this specific problem. One of our techs here may be able to help you get bootable again so you can work on getting clean again...

Please click --> HERE

That is the forum for infections. Please post a NEW TOPIC in that forum when you are bootable again.

Thank you and good luck :)