Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finding the text in a page

• Please log in to reply

flexichick

flexichick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I used to know how to do this, but I forgot :)

Let's say I am searching for a word - I'll use "pickle". I do a Google (or Yahoo or whatever) search for "pickle" and start checking out the results.

Some of the results are pages which are very text-heavy. How do I spot my word "Pickle" in all of the text?

I know that there is a way to highlight the words you searched for, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do it.

I usually use Firefox or Chrome. Occasionally IE. Answers in any or all browsers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Flexichick :)

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello flexichick,

Hmm.. you used to know how you say? Perhaps you are talking about the find shortcut?

CTRL + F

Works on all browsers.. even IE.. (BLEAUGH!) Lol..

Hope I could be of assistance, best regards.

-Jason

flexichick

flexichick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oops. Forgot to mention that I didn't mean CTRL+F (although thanks, OpenOutcome). I think there is a way to have the words highlighted....and if I was looking for "pickle juice", "pickle" would be in one color and "juice" would be in another.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello again,

Alright.. do you have the Google toolbar installed? Maybe you mean the highlight feature of it? Go HERE for instructions..

Is that what you mean? :) I'll keep guessing.

-Jason

flexichick

flexichick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
that might be it. I think I uninstalled Google toolbar

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello,

You can check if it is uninstalled by opening Mozilla Firefox and choosing View > Toolbars

Google toolbar will be listed there if it is installed. Click it to place a check. If not, you can download it here.

Let me know :)

-Jason

flexichick

flexichick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, yes, that was it. Many thanks! I think the toolbar was conflicting with something and I removed it. Also, is it only for Firefox? I tried finding the settings in Chrome and IE (which I am occasionally forced to use for something), but can't find it. You'd think Chrome at least would have those features somewhere you can find them :-)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello,

Well, for IE you can install the toolbar as well HERE.

As for chrome, well.. I don't know. You would think you could download Google toolbar for Google chrome, but I guess you cant? Hmm. Well, if you are using Google Chrome, when you use the CTRL + F, find shortcut, search terms are automatically highlighted.. see HERE. It is a bummer though, as the google toolbar has some other nice features...

Best regards,

-Jason

flexichick

flexichick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks, Jason!

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts