Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do programs run faster if they are on a separate HDD

• Please log in to reply

ScottG89

ScottG89

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just installed Windows 7 on my 10K RPM HDD and I'm about to start installing some programs. If I install them on my other hard drive that has nothing on it yet, will it run/startup faster? I am going to start using that HDD for data, but not a lot at all. Also, the other HDD is only 7200 rpm.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The programs will only run as fast as the operating system and the rest of the machine. The drive you install programs on is arbitrary at the end of the day because they'll all come back to the installation on the main drive wherever you install them. So I wouldn't go out of your way to install them somewhere else in the hope of a speed boost that isn't there.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The speed of the CPU and amount of installed RAM are the two factors which have the greatest impact on application start-up and running speed. You can add the amount of data fragmentation to that list as well - defrag hard disks regularly - Windows will then take less time to find related program files which would otherwise be spread all over the disk.