Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Hard drive detects imminent failure" message at startup

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let us know. :)

Advertisements

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, I think I got everything off that I needed, and though I haven't tried opening every single file I transferred, the ones I did try opened perfectly. My friend thinks he may be able to do something to salvage the HD, so we will see what he can do. I'll update after the weekend. The most important thing was I was able to get my data off the system, so thank you very much!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and please elt us know what your friend finds out. We will wait for your return and your results. Good luck. :) :) :)

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
My friend is now here working on the system. He found that the hd error is the reallocated sector count--that's the only thing that is failing. The highest count is 139 and the threshold is 140. Anything that can be done?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggestion replacement if I was working on it myself.

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Even before this problem happened, I had been planning to get a new laptop when we got our tax return money. Since I already have all my files off it, do you think it is useable for another month or two until I can get a new one?