Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Backup Question

• Please log in to reply

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi All

Its nice to see that all versions Windows 7 include the option to create a system image.

However the options seem a bit confusing:

Data files
C:
System image

My question is, would it be wiser to just schedule a system image? I mean does a system image include both the Data files and C: (with subfolders) anyway?

That way if the system goes down then the full system can be restored

Hope someone can shed some light here

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 27 January 2010 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
A hard disk image contains everything that's on the partition or partitions you select to make an image from. It's not like a standard backup utility that backs up only selected folders - it's the entire partition, every file, every folder and sub-folder on it. Windows 7 System Image Creator works in the same way.

http://www.shivaranj...ws-7-partition/

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 27 January 2010 - 03:15 PM.

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Yes I understand what an image does.

But that doesnt really answer my question.

Why backup data files, c: and a system image each week?

When if you only backed up a system image each all would be restored anyway.

Regards

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Making a partition image often is important, I make one when microsoft updates which is just about every week.
It only takes me about 14 min and about a hour to reinstall image.

My wife's computer had a real bad problem and I ended up having to install the partition image that I had made for her.
It was about two months ago. After I got her computer up and running I had to wait for microsoft to install all the most recent updates and I had to check all her programs for up dates.
Now if she had let me do a partition image more often it would have saved a lot of time.
I would do a partition image of her computer more often if I could get access to it.

I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition and with this program you burn a boot CD which let you use
a usb external hard drive to restore your image, that where I store my partition image.

The point I'm trying to make is it better to make them often and keep them up to date, you will be glad you did at some point.

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

There is a lot of good programs out there to make a images for those who don't have Windows 7.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 27 January 2010 - 10:53 PM.