Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron E1505 Hard Drive Full

• Please log in to reply

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

My wife has a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running Vista. My daughter and her have been doing some gaming and have purchased some $7 games on-line (I don't know what they are, but it sounds like they have to find hidden objects or something) and have had issues with running those affectively. I purchased 2 GB of ram to help improve gaming and overall performance, but we cannot figure out how to decrease memory load on the C hard drive. We have deleted all unused programs, all pictures, temp data, trash, etc... The games don't show using that much memory. But the memory still shows full. I used a share-ware program that shows where your memory is being used and it shows that the majority is in ProgramData, not program file. Does that sound right? I can not find that area in the computer. Any help in eliminating this excess storage baggage would be greatly appreciated.

Stumped,

Uncle Briggs

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Uncle Briggs.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I'm confused a little as to what you are actually stating. It seems to me you are talking the hard drive is full. Memory is a different issue all together. Let take a look at you hard drive and see what is really going on.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, thanks for the reply. I will grab the computer in a bit and do as you have requested. I am on our den computer at this time. Be back in a while.........

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry I did not get back to our project last night. I ran Everest this morning and here is summary as a series of screen shot images. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to save as text. Hope these images come through?

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest_Summary_1.jpg
  • Everest_Summary_2.jpg
  • Everest_Summary_3.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so let's try to free some space up because right now your MBR us in jeopardy of being corrupted which will cause your system to become unbootable.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I will have to do these things tonight when I get home. Thanks for all your help so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are a welcome and let me know. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Another space issue. 65gb on C and 383mb free. That is why you can't run/ install any programs.

Uncle Briggs We need to get you some immediate space while we work on a final resolution.

Rshaffer61...I do not have access to my notes, (not at home) so....can you give him instructions on clearing all but the last restore point? I would also temporarily decrease the amount needed for the restores so we have something to work with.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE to Microsofts instructions on how to delete Restore Points in Vista

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 January 2010 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was able to run TFC by OldTimer last night and it looked like it found alot of temp data and got rid of it, but it didn't change the bar on the C drive. Still shows 0 available space.

I could not access Auslogistics Defrag last night. Site might have been down. I was able to get on this morning at work, so must have been a short term thing. I can try and run that tonight.

I will also try to go to the additional link you have listed for reset points?? Again, I am not the greatest at this stuff, so I hope it is set-up for the technically challenged?

Thanks again for both of your help.

Oldfun

I opened the link and it looks easy enough. Should I do the other drives also?

Edited by Uncle Briggs, 29 January 2010 - 07:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not resetting but deleting old restore points. This will open some space up also.
The instructions are pretty easy and if you follow them slowly you should be OK.
If you need help we are here to assist and explain.

Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, thanks. Can't wait to get home tonight and run this. I'll let you know how things turn out. The computer runs pretty good now with the new ram chips and all the other things we have done. But hopefully this will free up some space.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Guys,
Seems like we keep seeing this problem lately...

Uncle Briggs:

How many GB of personal data is on this computer? (most people have a good amount)

You could move your pictures, and documents to cd\dvd.

Or maybe instead of CD if you have an external drive. Or can purchase one "which" is a good idea for a laptop, for portability reasons.

You could move a lot of data to this device... Also they have come down "a lot" so you can get a large amount of disk space for a reasonable amount. 70-120 bucks for most on Newegg -->> HERE

That would help open a lot of space and make things a lot easier to work on...

And the great thing is you will always have the extra space from the drive to use.

Also I would consider purchasing a larger HDD I saw a 250gb internal for your computer on Amazon for around $60

If you did that you could clone your current HDD to your external and then back to your new HDD when it arrives... When the process is completed then you would have your same computer back just on a larger HDD...

Good luck hope it helps...

Hope it doesn't screw anything up for you Rshaffer61. Just in my thinking mood this morning.

Good luck

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
cbarnard Not a problem. We are getting there eventually. Just trying to get some wiggle room first.

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.