Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues Posting, cd/dvd drive won't open/work.

• Please log in to reply

Xxdom4073xX

Xxdom4073xX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I am having an issue, or two. I just built this pc today, for the second time. Specs:

Mobo:
MA785gm-Us2h

Ram:
2 gigs of G skill DDR2 800. Pc2-6400.
Cl5-5-5-15 1.8 to 2.0v

Link for more specifics.
http://www.newegg.co....t=Combo.311352

Amd athlon2 x2 Regor 2.8 gig processor.

WD 7200 rpm 250 gig HD.

My problems are.

No display when turned on and hooked up to a monitor.
Cd drive/drives will not open, seems they are not receiving power.
I've tried to barebone it, nothing. I've tried a different power supply, same issues.

I had these issues last week, did some trouble shooting, figured it was the mother board. I sent it back, just recieved the new one today, same issues. Is it possible I got 2 bad mother boards in a row? Or am I missing something?

The lights and fans all work, but display does not, drives do not, no post, and can't turn the pc off with out hitting the switch on the psu.

I've checked, nothing is grounding out the board, well atleast nothing I can see.

Any ideas? Possibly a bad cpu? It's the only thing other then the Mobo I can't actually test with new equipment that I know works. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Xxdom4073xX, 27 January 2010 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've checked, nothing is grounding out the board, well atleast nothing I can see.

You may have just answered your question with the above comment. Are you positive you don't have a standoff in the wrong place UNDER the Motherbaord?
Also when you start it does the fan on the CPU turn when power is turned on.
Is the power hooked to the drives correctly?
Even if CPU and or Motherboard was faulty the drives would still power up.
Is the 4 pin power connector connected to the motherboard in the right place.
Did you check the memory to make sure it is seated correctly?