Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Access at multiple points

• Please log in to reply

RAEnsbury

RAEnsbury

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a wireless network up and running. I have a second printer which I want to use in a spot where i can't run a wire. A wireless print server would work, but it's not a USB printer and all the wireless print servers seem to be USB only. I have a "wired" ethernet print server. Can I put a second access router in the remote spot, hook a network cable between it and the print server and be able to use the second printer? Again, I can't get a cable between the primary access point and the printer location.

Advertisements

miles_obrien

miles_obrien

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
As long as the second access point is on the same subnet as your other computers ( getting an IP from the main router) and the print server is supplied with an IP in that same subnet, then there should be no problem. A print server is the same thing as a computer so far as networking is concerned. In other words, either only 1 DHCP server on the network, or all devices supplied with IP's in the same subnet.
Mike