Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Graphics controller not functional

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
My Pavilion dv4-1225dx is not showing anything on the screen also when i connect my desktop screen to in i get nothing on the screen. The caps lock and scroll lock light blink 4 times i looked it up and it appears that it is a sign of Graphics controller not functioning. If anyone has any suggestion on how i can fix this i would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it was a desktop model you could have a new graphics card fitted, but with a laptop that's not an option. You need to have it looked at by a computer repair shop as it's possible the graphics controller is faulty - it's not a DIY job.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Lets say i did wat to bust a diy. what would i need to buy?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop would have to be taken apart. video chip would have to be unsoldered from the mainboard and a new chip soldered on. On misplaced drop of solder and the board is fried.
Next problem is even trying to find a new video chip for the board itself.
Have you tried a external monitor to make sure it is the graphics chip or is it a screen problem?

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 January 2010 - 09:11 PM.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Yes i have and i get nothing on the screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bad video then. You would have to contact the manufacturer of the laptop and see if they can sell you a new video chip. Not sure on the cost though as it is something most computer shops won't do it. They would just replace the whole motherboard or advise you to buy a new laptop.