Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank screen with cursor and i can't recover! >.< oh wha

• Please log in to reply

shemtrimble

shemtrimble

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm freaking out!! i have an acer aspire laptop and it dead, not really dead but one minute i was listening to and album and the next boom (well, not an actual boom) there's a blue screen saing that it's dumping somekind of memory? i freaked and turned it off.. dunno if it was a good idea prolly not huh?? when i turned it back on it would go throught the normal begining phases.. screen where it gives me the option of pressing f2 of f12 for additional options.. and then to the harddrive password?? i dunno how i got that up there in the firstplace but i have to type it in whenever i turn on or restart the laptop.. well noe, after the password, it's just a blank screen with a cursor on the upper left hand corner and it won't go on any further.. i've left it on for hours thinking that maybe it need some time but no change.. i tried pressing AND holding the f8 button right after i type in my password.. nothing.. i gave up and decided that i'd rather have to reload all my stuff onto the compter again than be without one.. while going through the recovery disc s message appears saying "bad block(s) encountered on read-continue anyway?" i've gone through all teh options.. yes then no.. when i selected no it goes back to the begining.. when i select yes it asks "ignore subsequent bad blocks?" and i've also chosen both answers.. they both brings up message "read sector failure, result=1, drive=0, sectors 6152895 to 6152896" i'm stuck. i dunno what to do >.< can anyone help? :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The hard drive may have failed. You should test it with the drive manufacturer's free diagnostic software which will tell you one way or the other.
If you post the make of the drive I'll point you to the correct page where you can download it.
It runs from a bootable cd so it will work no matter how much Windows is messed up.

shemtrimble

shemtrimble

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i think the model number is st94019a.. it says hdd "model name" is that the right one??