Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Accidental formatted external hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

Everyone82

Everyone82

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I recently had a large amount of problems with my computer. It's old but I figured I'd give it one last try and erase everything and start over. I backed up all my pictures, mp3s, games, etc. onto a portable hard drive. I then re-installed windows XP home edition. Everything works great now. However. During the installation process I didn't realize I had my hard drive still plugged in, which is the same size as the C: drive on my computer, and I believe I formatted it, or erased it. I'm not sure. When I plug it in now it gives the new hardware bubble pop up, but the icon never appears in the my computer screen. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do, but there is some important things I'd love to get back. If there is any program I can purchase or download, and give something a try I'd definitely do so. If you can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If the external drive previously had a unique 'custom' drive icon in 'My Computer', that icon will have been wiped off along with everything else when you formatted it. The absence of that custom icon may lead you to think the drive is not being shown. However, in the absence of a custom icon, Windows will simply use a standard hard drive icon to represent the drive in 'My Computer'.

Are you sure the drive is not shown with a standard hard drive icon?

You need to establish that Windows recognises it and it's shown in 'My Computer' before thinking about trying to recover the data on it.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 28 January 2010 - 05:32 AM.