Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connected wirelessly but with very low signal

• Please log in to reply

Trickishaura

Trickishaura

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Lately my wireless connection has dropped to very low to low signal. It shows i'm connected and the speed is 24Mbps. I have just bought a new router (thinking the old one was done) The new one is d-link dir 615. Its a 802.11N
I am running windows xp

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Does the signal get stronger as you move towards the router? Was your last router 802.11N or just 802.11G. Have you tried moving the wireless router and adjusting the antennas?

Trickishaura

Trickishaura

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
the router before was a 802.11 G i have moved the router to a different place yestarday and when i did that i have very good connection but then later that day it went back to low and very low. Sometime it says acquirying network address also.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Does the signal get better if you move towards the router?

Trickishaura

Trickishaura

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
no it doesn't seem to

Trickishaura

Trickishaura

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
It also keeps going to no signal for awhile and then it will go to low and sometimes very low.

Trickishaura

Trickishaura

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
the signal doesn't seem to get better the closer i go. I can be in one place with very low signal and then all of a sudden it will go to no signal and then back to low signal. I am at a lose at what to do. Any suggestions?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Do you have any microwaves or cordless phones in the area? One thing you can try is to temporarily unplug any cordless phones, microwaves, etc in the area and test the signal strength again. That will tell you if you are having interference problems.