Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

T41 won't boot when plug into an external monitor

• Please log in to reply

netsecurity

netsecurity

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I replaced the HD in a T 41 and it will boot if it is on it's own, or has an ethernet cable plugged in but will not boot on either a Type 2877 or 74P6733 docking station. It also will not boot if just an external monitor is plugged in. The normal bios boot screen - The one with the Thinkpad and Centrino graphics - does not show up. The only symptom is that the HD does not sound like it is spinning but when I boot without the connections I can hear it.

Also, sometimes it take a couple of tries with the power button to get it to boot. I can hear the drive spin when it is not on a docking station yet it doesn't get to the bios screen. If I power off and then on again a couple of times it boots. Then it will boot just fine several times in a row. It almost seems as if the bios is not powered or, if it was a desktop, like the bios backup battery had died.

Once it boots, its fine and works fine by itself, or, what is truly crazy, it can then be attached to either docking station and will continue to run.

Thanks

Edited by netsecurity, 28 January 2010 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements