Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange beep code 8 short 2 short.

• Please log in to reply

mikemike33

mikemike33

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone. I fear my mobo is on it's way out. My question is sometimes....actually all the time now when I boot up, I have nothing come up on the screen. I have 2 short beeps followed by 8 short beeps. ** pause ******** then after about 20 seconds I have 1 short beep followed by 2 short beeps. I hit the reset button, and then sometimes it boots up normally, or sometimes it reverts back to the beep codes I just mentioned. Today I had to reset it times before it booted normally.
Could it be the CMOS battery on the mobo dying?
System Info:

Mobo: MSI-6590 Ver 1.0
Bios: AMI
Windows XP Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3
Mem clock: 166MHZ
Chipset: Via KT400
Chip: AMD 2400XP+ Socket A 2000Mhz
1 GB RAM

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by mikemike33, 28 January 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the description you are providing it does seem a CMOS issue is apparent.
How old is the system and yes it could be a cmos battery.

mikemike33

mikemike33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The system is around 5 years old, and the CMOS batt has never been replaced.
I have had no issues yet with the clock or date....I can't find out what this beep code means anywhere. It's not in the user manual for the Mobo.

Edited by mikemike33, 28 January 2010 - 02:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see nothing for 8 beeps and this is only a generic code understanding as some systems have different meanings for their codes.

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

mikemike33

mikemike33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response, Rshaffer. I have those beepcodes in my user manual....But what I'm really trying to find is why 8 and 2? I don;t want to start flipping things in my BIOS, and I'm concerned that one day the system might not boot up at all. Should I start backing my stuff up to an external? Most of it already is. I hope to heck it's not a hard drive issue. Maybe I just need to clean out the dust....Something I haven't done in ages. Fans are all running fine. I was hoping someone could confirm this as a battery issue. Thanks again for your quick response.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never seen a 8 and then 2 beep code.
The plain two is the cmos battery but the 8 I just can't tell you what that means and if it isn't the user manual the next option is to contact the manufacturer and see if they can tell you.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You must have a AMI bios.

Beep codes

It looks to be pointing to a memory issue.
How many ram/memory chips do you have? If more than 1, then remove 1 and try again.
You may have to swap them.

I know Rshaffer61 is on this topic, and he will give you the full procedure. I do not have easy access to that at the moment.

Edit for more info.

Beep CodesThis is more descriptive. It is referencing display memory (your video card).

Try re-seating the card if it is a addon.

Edited by 123Runner, 28 January 2010 - 05:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Yep memory on the video. Is your video built on board or a add on card?
If latter then follow 123Runner's instruction about reseating the video card. If built on board that is another issue completely.