Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Browser

• Please log in to reply

kady25

kady25

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I have isp through my cable company/digital comcast. I have a daughter who is now using the computer and I wanted to know how to get parental controls and pop up ad blockers and other anti-virus protection for the computer. I have pretty limited knowledge on this stuff. Right now my computer is a wreck, it is bombarded by ads and other junk and i don't know how to stop it.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Welcome to geeks to go kady25. Sorry to hear your computer is a wreck. But I have some good advice to help you clean it up and avoid future infections. ;)

I would recommend the following to ensure the maximum protection.
  • Do all windows updates. This is extremely important. Click Here to visit windows updates.
  • While it is not a spyware related issue I advise all users to regularly Defrag their hard drive(s). This will help the performance of your machine.
  • Use almost any web browser other than Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is almost necessary for Windows Updates, but other than that ditch it and use something else. I recommend either Opera or Firefox. Both of these web browser have some ability to block pop-ups. A few sneak by but they manage to block most. Firefox also has a few extensions which add even more power to block ads and pop-ups.
  • A firewall is a necessity. You may have one with your ISP, I'm not sure ask them I'm sure they will tell you. Anyway I recommend ZoneAlarm
  • An Antivirus is also a necessity. There are several really good ones available. I recommend either AVG antivirus or Avast! 4 Home
  • For an added check run an online virus scan, you can use one of these TrendMicro's HouseCall or ActiveScan
  • If you haven't already done so install Sun's Java It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine, and Firefox (or Opera) needs this to properly display web pages containing Java applets.
Programs to Detect and Remove Spyware:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Programs to prevent the installation of Spyware
  • Spyware Blaster This is strongly recommended and it's free for personal use. SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and more. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file Click Here.
  • Spyware Guard SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
Other useful Programs
  • StartUp Control Panel Startup Control Panel is a control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts.
  • CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • BigFix. This program is a "patch manager" which updates your computer (Windows mostly) as well as recommends security and performance "tweaks" to ensure your system is performing optimally and securely.
  • If you still use internet explorer fairly often I would consider IE/Spyad IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows. This applies to Internet Explorer, worth having for the few cases where you might actually need to use IE.
  • Use Trillian or GAIM instead of AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and the like. These are free and spyware free. ;)
  • Weather Watcher - Free taskbar weather program that is free, malware free, and resource light.
Keep all of these programs updated, this is especially important for antivirus programs and all the spyware removal tools.

I know this may seem like a lot of programs but I feel most are necessary and this is only a small list of tools I myself use. Some are too "advanced" to recommend to a casual user and can cause damage if use improperly. (Hijack This! being a great example of an advanced but somewhat dangerous program if misused!)

If your computer truly is a wreck the tools I have recommended may not be enough to clear out the infection, so you should read This. If you follow this advice you will be ask to post a Hijack This log here at geeks to go and if you do spyware experts here will help you clean whatever spyware is left on you machine. Definately do this!

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein.

I know I neglected

I have a daughter who is now using the computer and I wanted to know how to get parental controls

Sorry about that I have no advice there, while I have two children I don't use any software like that nor do I really believe in it. I understand your concern tho, the internet is full of dangers just as is the real world. Perhaps some other member can help you here. Just be aware that children are very clever and often can bypass any such software. Some regard it as a challenge, and anything like that I myself could easily bypass.

Anyway hope I haven't overwhelmed you and hope this helps! :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 18 May 2005 - 06:56 PM.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

I know I neglected  Sorry about that I have no advice there, while I have two children I don't use any software like that nor do I really believe in it. I understand your concern tho, the internet is full of dangers just as is the real world. Perhaps some other member can help you here. Just be aware that children are very clever and often can bypass any such software. Some regard it as a challenge, and anything like that I myself could easily bypass.

Anyway hope I haven't overwhelmed you and hope this helps!  :tazz:

View Post

Ah, they just take a few secounds to hack. But I turned them right back on afterwards.