Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Tap to click" on Synaptics Touchpad can't be disabled

• Please log in to reply

starcurve

starcurve

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell Inspiron 1501, Vista, Synaptics Touchpad. The "tap to click" feature can't be disabled. The system doesn't seem to recognize the touchpad, just the mouse, and the "tap to click" option on the taskbar is
greyed out, so I can't turn it off from there. I'm having serious issues navigating anything with this feature on. It's been disabled since I first booted up the laptop in 2007, and I'm not sure how it got itself enabled, but I'm more concerned about a solution than a cause at this point. Is there any way to get my laptop to recognize the touchpad so I can disable this feature? Thank you.

EDIT: When I clicked around on the taskbar, I noticed a touchpad accessory called the "Pressure Graph." When I tried to use it, I got this error:

"Sorry, this program requires the Synaptics Touchpad and the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver."

Do I have a driver issue? If so, how do I fix this?

Edited by starcurve, 28 January 2010 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, See if this works, go to start, in the search type in mouse, then open mouse,
go to device settings and open it, then open settings, then tapping.
you should be able to disable it there.

hope it works for you

Dwight

starcurve

starcurve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately, this doesn't work. I tried it earlier today, and I can't access the tapping settings or any other touchpad settings, just the settings for the mouse buttons. That's why I think my system isn't recognizing the touchpad itself.

screencap of device properties:

Posted Image

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
See if they got drives for your laptop. You might have to uninstall drivers and then reinstall them.

http://www.synaptics...support/drivers