Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help, 3 issues in a folder

• Please log in to reply

mytimenowoki

mytimenowoki

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First issue;
In XP, after installing Paint Shop Pro, when I looked in my picture folders, I could see the real image of the picture, not just the icon, no matter what the file type was, ex: .psp, .tub, .jpeg.
It was a folder of mini pictures and no longer just icons that I had to open in a program to see what they looked like.
Now in Windows 7, after installing Paint Shop Pro, I can see what .jpegs and gifs and .png files are, but .psp, .tub, .png files are just icons of the files, no mini pics!!
I have to open those file types in a PSPro to see what they look like. I can't believe Windows would go backwards since so many people are working with photos now. Does anyone have any idea how to change those icons back to mini previews of the real picture?

2nd issue; in a folder of graphics, everytime I go to delete or move a picture file, I get a message that says I need permission, all I do is click the continue button and it does what I wanted it to do, but is there any way to get rid of that pesty notice??

3rd issue;
this is driving me crazy, I sort my graphics in a folder, I will put "like" pics together, stacked them on top of each other, and when I'm finished sorting them, I lasso the stack and move them in another folder.
To do this in xp, I just turn off the auto something(?) (where you right click in the folder and the menu for view and sort comes up and you click on sort, go down to auto something, and turn it off. Then you can move files anywhere you want to and they stay where you put them! When auto is on, all the files will move together when you delete or move a file.)
Some things in W 7 are pretty neat, but why did they play with the little things that you dont miss till theyre gone??
Thanks so much!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Those "mini pics" are called "thumbnails".

Support for .jpg, .gif and .png thumbnails is built in to Windows.

.psp and .tub are both Paint Shop Pro file-types, neither of which are natively supported in any version of Windows as far as thumbnails are concerned. If I remember from years ago, if you want to see thumbnails of .psp & .tub files in Windows Explorer, you have to choose the option to install PSP's thumbnail viewer using "custom setup" when you install PSP.

If that doesn't make any difference, your version of PSP may not be 100% compatible with Win 7.
Only these versions have been certified compatible by Microsoft:

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo Ultimate.
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X3

mytimenowoki

mytimenowoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the info. yea, i knew it was thumbnails, just had brain freeze, was trying to explain that so all could understand. i have some of those programs you said, but not that new. i tried 11, i think, it didnt do anything, i would think windows would have that covered. do you kbnow anything about the other problems I had, one with the icon not staying where i sort them? the other one may have stopped bugging me or i did something to fix it! thanks again