Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE Devices

• Please log in to reply

Ejeanette

Ejeanette

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a KX400+pro motherboard and I am running Windows 98se. I have a Western Digital 13 gig Caviar hard drive, Maxtor 80 gig hard, Benq cd-rom-w and a toshiba cdrom.

I would like to configure my system so that I can run Windows 98se on my primary hard drives and Windows xp on the primary slave, I have not installed Windows xp on the second hard yet.. I now have both hard drives on the primary IDE Cable and both cdroms on the secondary IDE cable. This set was working fine until I had a system crash and had to reinstall windows 98se on my primary hard drive now windows will not recognize all four devices.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm a little unclear, what is currently on the slave hard drive - was XP installed on it or was it just used for data?
Also can you confirm whether all 4 drives are detected in the bios?

Ejeanette

Ejeanette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, I have not installed xp on the primary slave I am waiting until have everything is properly configured.

Yes, all four drives are showing in the bios and and the first boot up screen. But windows will not accept all four drives. Now it will only allow 3 drives so I have disable the primary slave in order to get things back to the way they were before the crash.

When I first installed the second hard drive everything was working fine until I had a system crash and had to reinstall windows.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried seeing if the slave drive appears in fdisk?
You can run fdisk from the command prompt inside of windows but if you need to alter anything in fdisk, you must do this in a pure dos environment (ie outside of windows).

Run fdisk & see if the slave drive appears there & let me know what partitions are on it & what file system it is using. (in fdisk, press 5 to change drives then select the drive number for the slave drive. At the main menu, press 4 to view all the info about the drive.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
my advice- only use one hd...I have had problems with two. then if one fails, you have a backup! make sure if you swich anything around to doublecheck the jumpers. I have found that cd drives like to be slaves and rw/dvd drives like master.

Nixx

Ejeanette

Ejeanette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Samm and Nixx:

Thank you both for taking to time to help me with my problem. I try your suggestions.