Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer will not go into standby

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Going into Standby puts my monitor into Standby and shuts off my printer OK but not the PC - the fan(s) keep running and the lights are on.
Is there something in XP I can access to fix this or is there something wrong with my new computer?

XP Pro SP3
VIDIA Ge Force 7025
MS Security Essentials

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Standby is just that. It is not shutting the monitor down or the system but just putting them to sleep. The reason the printer shuts down is because the system stops communicating with it and tells it to shutdown.
Nothing wrong with your system as it is doing exactly what it should do. I myself never use power saving options and only have my system go to a screensaver. That way I don't have to wait for the system to wake up when I need to work on it.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for your response.

This has never happened on 4 other computers I've had so was confused.
Although my monitor sleeps the computer certainly is not sleeping though, lights and fans are running but it seems from your post that my set up is not set for power saving so keeps running - my others were so set by default so I didn't realise.
So I'll look into the power saving and turn it on as I want that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems your power savings may be set for monitor and not the system itself. You can also set it to power down the hard drives if you so wish.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Looking in Power Options I see that Standby and Hibernate only have the options of choosing a period of time of no use after which it activates. There seem no options to choose between monitor and HD.
However I ticked the Hibernate option under the Hibernate tab in Power Options Properties and now the computer does just that from the Start Menu. Oddly my other computers started up from Hibernation from the power button not from pressing any key but on this one it did so which I have found works only from Standby on my others.
Anyway it still won't go into Standby.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK can you tell me if this is a name brand system and if so what make and model?
If custom built i would need to know what motherboard you have.
There is also power saving options in the bios that you may be able to change. This will depend largely on what bios you have.