Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam slowing internet on network?

• Please log in to reply

Otemori

Otemori

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First, I hope that I have placed this topic in the correct section. I apologize beforehand if I have not!

I bought a Dell Inspiron desktop computer about 6 months ago. I use it for browsing and chatting off and on all day. The most strain I put on it (when not streaming videos) are my webcam conversations using MSN.
I have never had a problem with this before - even on my old computer - but it seems that the internet is slowed recently. My webcam may be the point of blame for this development.
The house is on a network, and everyone is directly connected except for me (Dynex Wireless G).

Do webcams slow internet connections?
The chief complaint is that the Xbox360 another member of the household uses lags recently.

Thanks for your help!
Once again, I apologize if this isn't in the right area. I thought it might be a question concerning hardware.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

"Do webcams slow internet connections?"

No, it's the other way round. The performance of a webcam (for streaming video, that is) is affected by the available bandwidth (or speed) at any given time.

The situation will only get worse as more and more people take up broadband, unless there is a massive expansion of the fibre-optic network in countries such as the UK where I live.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 January 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Otemori

Otemori

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am so surprised to hear that! The instinctive response I've been given (and would have thought) is that webcams do slow down internet connections. I am not well acquainted with the functions of streaming. I understand downloads and uploads but...streaming has me a little twisted.
Thanks for your help. :)

Does anyone else agree or disagree? I really need to figure this out.