Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hey guys,

So I just downgraded from Vista Ultimate x64 to 7 Ultimate x64.

One feature I miss from Vista is it would forget my monitor settings on occasion, greatly inconveniencing me by forcing me to go in and change the refresh rate to 60Hz. It's never been anything else; 59Hz must just be M$'s magic number that it loves for refresh rates. The display is very annoyingly fuzzy and too small at that rate - my monitor needs 60Hz.

On 7, this feature was sadly dropped in favor of the all-new don't-allow-users-to-change-monitor-settings-at-all feature. No more inconvenience! Now when I try to change my refresh rate to 60Hz, as is appropriate for my monitor, Windows automatically detects that by "60" I really meant "59" and corrects the problem for me instantly, without ever even applying the correct setting!

Sarcasm aside, though, can anyone tell me how I can set my monitor to 60Hz? Right now, when I try, the screen blinks very quickly, and it asks me if I want to keep the settings, but nothing looks different. It will still read that it is set to 60Hz until I click "OK" on the dialog. The next time I open the dialog, it will be back at 59Hz again, leading me to conclude that it never really changed anything. This is absolutely unacceptable as it makes my display really ugly.
To rephrase that first paragraph sarcasm-free, I had a similar problem on Vista, where it would periodically forget that I wanted the refresh rate to be 60Hz (I posted about that some time ago and didn't receive any replies). At least when I went in to change it, though, it would work for the time being.

In case it's relevant, I performed the upgrade in-place - that is, I didn't do any backing up or transferring of the files, as it wasn't necessary - 7 just installed on top of Vista and kept all my files.

I'll be sure in the future never to upgrade until absolutely necessary. Windows has gotten progressively worse since XP - 7 seems certainly no better than Vista, has at least one additional problem that Vista didn't, and has a disgusting appearance IMO.

Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide with the refresh rates!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, going from Vista to 7 is an upgrade, not a downgrade. I think that's what you mean to say :)

The screen refresh rate options are still there - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution and click "Advanced Settings" and then the monitor tab. A lot of the options presented are that reported by the monitor itself and if Vista did the same thing that may an issue is beginning to develop with your monitor.

BIGERGUY

BIGERGUY

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i agree with member 5k i was able to go change all my display problems just like he sail go to control panel .display.advance setting and you can do just what you want

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I know where the settings are, it's just that it won't let me change them.
As I described, I'll set the refresh rate to the appropriate 60Hz, click OK. Nothing changes. Open the configuration dialog up again and it's back to 59Hz.
Sometimes, though, when I'm playing fullscreen games, it will go to 60Hz while the game is open. Crysis seems to do this every time; other games do it occasionally.
I think what would help is if I could change the refresh rate via the registry. Does anyone know what key is used to do this?

And so far, 7 has only managed to fail where vista succeeded. Hence I consider it a downgrade and very unfortunate that I chose to do it.