Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer was overtaken

• Please log in to reply

Stick13

Stick13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im new so I have no idea if Im in the right spot. Or even if Im posting right, so I apologize.

About 6 weeks ago my computer was killed. Some security update came up and locked my computer up. I finally went through the task manager and uninstalled it using the CCleaner. However when I was prompted to reboot my computer it never came back on. I couldnt do a safe restart or anything. Finally I went with the Dell PC Restore and scrubbed my computer. After I got it back on I updated everything in the Microsoft Windows Updates so Im up to date on that. I installed the free version of AVG antivirus program, and a Malwarebytes Anti Malware program and have set it to run 1 time a week. I manually check it myself and check the up dates, and so far so good. I run firefox and have also just installed the no script and the adblock add on. We also use Google chrome sometimes. I try not to use IE but some programs open using it.
My computer is fine, but it runs a little slower. I was thinking it may run faster since we don't have all the stuff that was probably collected on the computer then. A big thing is that my typing takes forever to catch up.
Anyway, I have heard of alot of people recently getting viruses, or whatever, so I looked into it alittle more. Someone suggested that I run Hijack this and then post the log to let someone look through it and make suggestions. So I have. This is what it says:

I have no idea what any of this means. I was just wanting to try to figure out if what I had is gone, or if there is anything else lurking that I needed to take care of.

Any help?

Thanks
Stick

Edited by Rorschach112, 30 January 2010 - 05:47 AM.
removed log

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Stick13,

If you believe you have a malware issue, start with the Malware Cleanup Guide and do as many of the steps as you can.

If you continue to have problems, then go to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum and post a new thread for a trained staff member to assist you.

Good luck to you and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Sincerely,

DM

Edited by dm27, 29 January 2010 - 07:42 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Stick13 :)

If you did a destructive recovery which would have reformatted the hard drive then you should have no virus's.
It is probably slower because a recovery will re-load all the crap that was on it at day 1 install.
Depending on the computer, we have found that AVG is a resource hog. We recommend Avira or Avast. Both are free and light on resources.

Go through the malware forum to be checked. Be aware that they are quite busy.
Then you can return here and we can continue to look at some things.

123runner