Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Selling My Laptop

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have one of these laptops, and the video chip came loose from the motherboard - twice. I fixed it the first time, by using something called The Oven Trick, but that required taking apart my laptop, which was very hard for me. The card just came unsodered (again,) and I don't want to take apart my computer a second time.

What would this laptop sell for? It is heavily used, with small spots of paint on the corners worn away, and the screen has some marks from the keyboard that won't go away. I also had to butcher the charging cord in a small section because the wires inside had snapped (but the cord works fine now.) All the defects (except the graphics card) are visual.

What I would like to do is get a new laptop that can just barely run the OS (probably windows 7) it comes with, and replace the OS with Ubuntu (or windows XP.)

Does anyone a good place to start off doing this? I went to several websites offering money for broken laptops, but they only offered $150 for mine, but I saw individual components for sale that sell for more than that.

P.S. Would fixing the card again raise the value of the laptop?

Advertisements

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
From your description I feel anyone buying it would be gambling. I'd take the $150 and let them hassle with a fixup. New computers are now so cheap - there's a shrinking market for used, especially damaged units. Yes, the individual parts are worth more; it's amazing how they can put $150,000 worth of parts into a new car and sell it for only $25,000. :)

Edited by easyday, 29 January 2010 - 10:39 PM.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So I should take out the mother board, fix the graphics card again, and sell the parts?

I would need a guide to that, along with how to take the touchpad, camera, and screen out of the casing.

I priced some parts on google shopping, and the total price is at $545.

Edited by WhydoIask?, 30 January 2010 - 03:21 PM.

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Up to the challenge, want the experience, think you can turn a profit? Go for it. :)

Only YOU can decide what's best for you.