Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not get through Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply

autumnskies00

autumnskies00

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been having some major issues with my computer, so I tried to follow all of the directions for your Malware/spyware cleaning guide...however, because of the problems I can't get through it. First I should mention that I use windows vista.

The existing problems with my computer that led me to this forum are that my internet explorer has not been working at all. When I try to open it freezes before even loading, and after, will not let me close even if windows task manager is used. The only way to get rid of the frozen screen is to reboot. This is not a huge issue because I usually use firefox but windows explorer also does the same thing. I can not open my control panel, file folders etc. I'm not sure if it's related my AIM has also begin to freeze. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it still freezes before loaded (this problem just started yesterday)

So when going through the cleaning guide I was not even able to get through Step 1. The program freezes almost instantly, and since it shuts off all of the other programs being used, I have no choice but to reboot the computer to get rid of it. So I skipped that step hoping to clean whatever problem I was having using the other steps you provided. I was able to run ERUNT and Malwarebytes. The malwarebytes scan came up clean and this was my log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3654
Windows 6.0.6000
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18882

1/28/2010 4:53:58 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-28 (16-53-58).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 108524
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{fa8edcdd-efa2-477b-b00a-7f28f02cd37e} (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I was also able to complete a virus scan using avast! but during this scan I was not able to uninstall my other spyware programs because I'm not able get into my control panel. The program had me run a boot-time scan also. These viruses were moved into the chest (whatever that means).
And finally, the last two steps (running the gmer program and otl program) also did not work. They froze my computer as well.

So I'm not quite sure what to do from here. Things seem to just be getting worse and worse, so I would really appreciate the help!

Advertisements

autumnskies00

autumnskies00

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any ideas?